A4LD Shifting issues. 2nd missing or just hard shift? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD Shifting issues. 2nd missing or just hard shift?

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
I decided to get some more info and shoot a video of the symptoms that my 1994 Explorer has. I bought it as non-running and I'm happy with the investment but I figured I'd try a few easy things to get the transmission shifting again. I haven't changed the fluid but it did dump out at 2-3 quarts on the ride home (previous owner removed the vacuum modulator, I installed a new one). Because of that, I poured a bottle of Seafoam TransTune in and filled the rest with Valvoline MaxLife ATF. I also installed a Magenefine filter before the auxiliary cooler. I've only been able to drive it about 15-20 miles (no plates, severe front end suspension issues) and nothing's changed.

Here's the video I shot earlier today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8cdHZDV5JA

What I thought at the time is that no matter what, it stays in first gear until up to 30MPH or so and if you rev the engine up to 4,000 RPM and drop off the throttle, it may or may not go into the next gear. Sometimes you can hold light throttle and it will stay in that gear and then just fall out into 1st again, randomly.

While editing the video, I'm wondering now if I'm just missing 2nd gear and the trans is behaving normally? Winding up first then hitting 3rd and kicking back down due to inadequate vehicle speed. I'm not entirely sure. I never feel a neutral like 2nd gear is totally gone (broken band) and the trans doesn't slip at all, going into drive & reverse is firm and no matter the RPM, it stays engaged.

A couple things that trouble me;
- The fluid was dark and gritty. I doubt it had been changed in a LONG time. The radiator cap was OEM and the spark plugs & wires looked old and worn. Looking at the state of the vehicle, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the factory fluid in the trans.
- There's a rattling at certain RPM. It may just be the loose heat shield between the cat and trans that I couldn't get back into place or something worse...
- After driving vigorously, the auxiliary cooler and my in-line filter are barely warm like fluid isn't flowing through the cooler lines very well. My 1991's in-line filter gets so hot I can't touch it after normal driving.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any ideas on this? Just looking for some direction to help diagnose it, even if the diagnosis is "it's toast". Should I get a vacuum pump and manipulate the modulator? Band adjustment? Or just drive it some more with the filter & fixitinabottle?

An update; Driving around today doing various things on the property with this rig and in low range, it likes to upshift more. I can almost reliably get it to shift up if I rev up and then let off most but not all the way. However, I'm unsure if it's shifting to 2nd or straight to 3rd.

Bump for any ideas, even a hail mary.

I've had a 100% failure rate with the A4LD. I'd consider swapping in a manual, that is what I did with my 4.0L aerostar van.

I've had a 100% failure rate with the A4LD. I'd consider swapping in a manual, that is what I did with my 4.0L aerostar van.

I appreciate the input but....

This is a secondary vehicle that isn't even registered/insured. The A4LD in my daily driver is rebuilt and works plenty fine. The A4LD is weak, I agree, but, once you know it's limitations and know how to take care of it, it's plenty capable. Personally, I wouldn't want a manual trans, I'd rather rebuild an A4LD before swapping a manual trans in.

To each their own though. Being yours is an Aerostar, it's probably a better candidate for a manual as long as you're easy on the clutch. I wouldn't want to stuff a used A4LD or hope I rebuilt an A4LD properly into an Aerostar. There's next to nothing for room in those, I've seen them :)

My 2 cents: Your note about the cooler lines not warming is important I think. It seems to me like the pump is not circulating fluid adequately, thereby likely causing overheating and other internal damage. Also, given the condition of the fluid, and the generally poor/non-existent maintenance by prior owners, in addition to the general weakness of the A4, I would expect there to be internal problems requiring a rebuild.

You can always "give it a shot" with a reman'd valve body, thereby not requiring removal, but in this case I don't expect that to cure your problems.

It could be that the transmission never really warmed up too. I did take the Explorer for a "drive" of a few miles after idling it and running it around on the property. When I got back, the cooler lines and auxiliary radiator were pretty warm. Still not as hot as my 1991's radiator that I can't even touch.

I believe a key in this story is this noise that I finally got on video:
https://youtu.be/8GK33baHjjs

It's gotta be related to the malfunctions. Perhaps just something obstructing fluid or the valve body gasket ripped and is leaking pressure? I wouldn't mind rebuilding/cleaning the valve body myself. It would be a good learning experience. I just don't necessarily want to piss away a lot of $$ with something that absolutely won't help.

I had considered rebuilding my VB as well, but a full rebuild kit is typically over $100 too, without solenoids. Also, if the VB is warped, or one of the bores is worn then you would need to either sleeve or replace anyway. It's a judgment call without having the equipment to test a VB.

Can't say what the noise is for sure, but I'm inclined to say VB. This may only be one part of your trans problems though.

I'd say give the VB a shot, whether that rebuild or reman is up to you.

Back