A4LD Trans Blowing Up Storys

XplorerKid

Rolling on 37"s
Reaction score
City, State
Winter Haven Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Xplorer
Well its seems ALOT of people have problems with the A4Ld in there Explorer(or exploder as my rtansmission dude said).

So i was woundering when and where and how all of yalls transmission fun happnend.

WEll ill start:

I was on the Turnpike heading from Vero to Orlando going bout 75 mph and i start seeing smoke from my rear veiw mirror. I pull off to the side of the road and sit for like 10 mins than start driving again. Than it start doing it again... so i keep driving to a service station. I get out to wipe the residue off my back window since at the time i didnt know what it was. I look on the ground and see a trail of fluid running from the entrance to where my truck was parked so i look under the truck and there it is fluid gushing out :mad: so i goto the gas station buy a quart of trans fluid and it jstu runs out so my moms standing here mad and im trying to get aholdof my dad. Well i do and he brings her car and calls a tow truck needless to stay 3hrs later and 200$ later my trucks back home =).

Also a hint its easier to work on the trans if you have a body lift....

PEACE

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um... I was less than a mile from home, just got on a feeder road.. Started accelerating then bam! nada. No forward gears. Still had reverse, thought about reversing all the way home, lol... Got a old of my dad and he had it towed to the shop where his company's vehicle fleet get's serviced, a guy with the shop next to his house. Good work, honest guy. Good combo

i dont remember when i blew the frone seal the first time. i think i did it off road, but that was $750 to replace. then, on a road trip to new york it just started losing gears. first overdrive went, then second. eventually it welded itself in first. put the lever in nutral, it would drive forward. in reverse, drive forward. park, it would try like hell to drive forward. that time it was $1700 to replace my tranny. and on the third tranny, the front seal went again about 6 months after the catastrophic tranny failure. that is when i gave up on it.

I was on my way back home to Ontario from Cape Hatteras NC when I hit the hills in Maryland, I think near the PA line. I noticed my 92 Ex heating up quite a bit and looked in the rear view mirror to find that the truck was starting to smoke. Pulled over to the side of the interstate after climbing up to the top of the hill I was on and looked underneath and found a nice thick bead of tranny fluid pouring out of the front of the bellhousing. So I let it cool off and unloaded some of my windsurfing gear and luggage into my Dad's minivan to decrease the load in the truck. We then proceded to drive to the next exit and stopped to pick up some more tranny fluid in hopes to top up the tranny and nurse it down all kinds of back roads throught Pennsylvania and New York to get back home in Southern Ontario. Well, once i topped up the tranny we proceded. The temperature stayed down at the normal temp it usually ran at and we stopped every now and again to refill the tranny, but found that the leak had stopped. Well this confused me quite a bit. I went to a local tranny shop in my town and asked the guy why the tranny did that. He said that I was lucky. The front seal ended up expanding and leaking, luckily for me that I didn't burn it out, the seal reformed once it cooled off and it was fine again was the explanation that I got from my tranny guy. I pulled the tranny anyway and changed the seal and that fixed it for about 3 years.

Then last November I started having slipping trouble with the tranny. I just got home from work when the tranny was absolutely dead. I had to rev the heck out of her to get her to move. Thank god for 4 low! That helped a bit to get me up my driveway. I pulled the tranny out and put in a used one, took that one out because it was shot, replaced it with another used one that was shot, then I gave up and bought my 97 4 dr.

Out of curiousity, I took the old tranny apart and found that the first clutch pack had exploded. A snap ring on the overdrive drum unclipped itself and this allowed the retaining ring and all the pressure springs to come out and get ground up in the clutch pack. So, needless to say I tried to find another OD Drum at a couple of local transmission shops and they wouldn't sell me one because they all wanted my tranny to rebuild. After telling them where they could go I just ended up selling the old girl. I have to say that I miss her quite a bit since she was a 2 door. I don't like my 4 door quite as much because she is so long, but don't regret buying her because of all the updates and the 5 speed automatic tranny that she has.

Hoppy

I had drove out to Arkansas to see my little brother and little sister graduate from high school. My brother came back to VA with me. 1117 miles from my dad's house to mine. My brother, my daughter, my stepson, and myself were making good time when all of sudden my x down shifted on it's own then quit. A minute later it did it again. I pulled over to the side of I-64 and looked underneath. The entire underside and back door of the x were coated in a fluid. I got back in so to drive to a gas station and I had to get up to almost 4k RPM's just to move a little bit. Called a tow truck and had it towed to a tranny shop. $2200 later, got the x back.

Luckily I was only 40 miles from the house.

Reverse started messing up about 18 months later. Went to another shop and they said that reverse was pretty dead and 1st gear was about to go. Another rebuild of the tranny and replacing the gears with 4.10 gears. $3500 this time.

If it wasn't for the damn tranny, my x would be paid off by now.

Back