• Register Today It's free!

Is my 1992 A4LD trans dead?

lulzy

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 explorer
So I was driving down the street the other day, I stopped at a stop light. when I went to take off the truck barely moved and was smoking. I limped into the gas station parking lot on the other side of the intersection, hoped out of the truck to see trans fluid spewing from in between my bell housing and motor.

The leaking stopped after about a quart maybe and we got the truck towed home. When we got home me and the tow truck driver pushed the truck into the drive way, in order to do this we started the truck so the power steering was working for my girlfriend to steer.

overnight the truck decided to leak out the rest of my transmission fluid. I looked to see if any lines were broke and they are all solid. the only think I noticed was a bolt missing from my bell housing.

attached is a pic or where the leaking is, the red circle is the leak and the blue is the missing bolt. Could that bolt backing out cause all of this? Why would it have continually leaked?

Thank you in advance.
kAGEp2i.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not check the antifreeze since the problem. But I do know that it was full when we left yesterday.

Yep looks like a front seal. Mine leaked from sitting a long time the rubber got harden. Its a $4.00 part but you have to drop your tranny to change it.

Thanks for the replies everyone! hopefully I can find someone who is qualified to do this and put a rebuild kit in for an affordable about of money.

Back