• Register Today It's free!

33x12.5 tires/ a4ld trans.

1993fordexploere

Reaction score
City, State
northern california (Eureka)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt 4x4
hey guys! um i got a 4 inch lift in my ex and i was woundering if i will need wheel spacers? if i do how much spacing do i need?.............oh while im at it, what can i do to help "beef up" my a4ld transmission? any help plz?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey guys! um i got a 4 inch lift in my ex and i was woundering if i will need wheel spacers? if i do how much spacing do i need?.............oh while im at it, what can i do to help "beef up" my a4ld transmission? any help plz?
All depends on how much backspacing your wheels have. Beef up an A4LD? M5OD swap is beef :D

All depends on how much backspacing your wheels have. Beef up an A4LD? M5OD swap is beef :D

is it a bolt up swap? or what and is it a auto trans i am tryin to stay with auto

Bolt in, yes. Auto, no. The A4LD IMHO is a lost cause, I honestly can't understand why anyone rebuilds them only to rebuild them a second or third time.

im running 33x 12.5 baja claws with slight rub on the radius arms but thats only turning tight . . thats with a 2in lift . as far as the a4ld yea its junk but also kinda depends on what your going to do tho

I run a 4" Lift with 33x12.5 tires. It rubs slightly on the rocker panels when turning, I didn't even worry about cutting that's how minimal it was. As far as the A4LD goes with stock gearing and these size tires, don't do it. Blew mine up (with a fresh rebuild) after only 6,000 miles. I'd invest in some lower gears (atleast 4.10, if you plan to offroad 4.56)

EDIT:
You may be able to get away with running 3.73s and these size tires as long as you're not stressing it to much. You can also invest in a TransGo Shift Kit for the A4LD. I'm not sure how well it works and I imagine it wouldn't be to cheap to have someone else install. Don't quote me though

whats a bolt in auto trans that i could swap in that would be stronger??

i have the a4ld trans, and 3.73 geers with 33x12.5 tires, never had a problem with it, still have a lot of get up and go. have taken it off road several time and it all worked fine and not a hit of something going wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

i have the a4ld trans, and 3.73 geers with 33x12.5 tires, never had a problem with it, still have a lot of get up and go. have taken it off road several time and it all worked fine and not a hit of something going wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

hell yeah!!!:D i guess it depends who owned it last or how its bee treated.:thumbsup:

thats what i thought. im mostly going to drive it on road and a little offroad until i get 4.10 or 4.56 gears then i will be doin a pretty good amount of off roading

there are adapters put a 700r4. It does require some modification so it's not a direct bolt in

there are adapters put a 700r4. It does require some modification so it's not a direct bolt in

...also requires some modification of the old pocketbook, too.

read this sticky about beefing up the A4LD: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146953

I've got 2 of these "frankentranny's" on the road now. I was lucky enough to have access to a lot of 5R55E tranny cores/exchanges. most shops around here won't even work on an A4LD, so I started repairing them after I retired from teaching English...lol.

read the sticky & if you're mechanically inclined, build your own. most all that I have worked on have been victims of neglect and abuse. people don't want to pony-up for minor repairs and maintenance, but will bad-mouth mechanics and rebuilders after the problem becomes terminal and they are asked to shellout "BIG" bucks.

if I could take these trannys apart and repair/rebuild them, almost anybody can. patience, patience......and a lot of hand cleaner.....:D

also, post tranny related stuff in the tranny section, please...:salute:

Back