• Register Today It's free!

A4LD trans OD not working

XploreAlaska

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska / USMC camp pendleton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Okay so I'm tired of driving down the road at 65 mph / 3100 rpm, I've decided that the OD dosent seem to work because there is no difference in drive and overdrive at that speed, I've has 3 first gen explorers and they have all had this problem (and one 92 ranger that wouldn't redline at 70 mph) so I'm guessing its a common thing. I've never had the knowledge to know what problem to target. Me being like most men with a gearhead vein in their body I refuse to take it to a shop. So, where do I start to get this problem under controll??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the output of certain sensors like the VSS or the TPS. The PCM commands a ground signal to the 3-4 shift solenoid. Other possibilities could be that the overdrive servo is dried out, and leaking, the overdrive band is either out of spec or broken or it could be a valve body problem.

Time to bust out the repair manual. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction before I just start replacing ****.
Is this more often than not a valve body problem when this happens?

If there was something wrong with the tps wouldn't it run like sh*t? And as for the pcm how do I check to see if I've got a bad ground going to the od servo?

Since the PCM is what commands a ground to the solenoid, the only way the solenoid wouldn't get a ground is if there is either no ground to the PCM (the vehicle wouldn't start) or if you have a bad sensor (the PCM doesn't know enough to command a ground to the solenoid).

i have a similar problem.. i have all 4 gears, but my torque converter wont lock up. a friend who has been a long time ford tech told me that the main culprit for the TC not locking and/or 4th gear not engaging are the 3-4 shift solenoid and the TCC solenoid both of which are replaceable.. i think you have to remove the pan, screen, and valve body to replace these parts? someone correct me if im wrong. i havnt done anything to it bc i hardly drive the vehicle on the interstate but the more i do the more i think about having someone help me replace the TCC solenoid.

hope this helps,

-Jack

You are correct that you have to drop the pan, but first check the solenoids at the 3 prong connector before doing this. The entire valve body has to be removed in order the remove the solenoids. The later model transmissions such as the 4R55E & 5R55E have a removable solenoid bracket that allows you to remove the solenoids without removing the valve body.

ive been reading some other threads and a few of them mention cruise control problems being associated with trans problems.. could anyone explain this further, is it a VSS problem or what bc i thought first gens were vaccum servo cruise setups, but i could be wrong

So you hook 12v to the center pin and ground one of the outers and I'm supposed to listen for a click of the solenoid activating?

Im actually glad I ran across this thread, because my OD is doing the same thing, and my CC is not working, gonna have to give this one a shot tommrow!

Back