AAL on a mono leaf?

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
Like the title says, whats your opinion on running an AAL on a mono leaf? Ive seen people who have said it cannot be done, that it will cause extra stress points on the main leaf due to how short the AAL is. Ive also seen a few on here running with them. What if i was to get a longer AAL instead of the short pro-comp model? Only reason i am looking toward this over a 4 door swap is the time, cost and difficulty difference between the two.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OKay let me inform you on the reason that the add a leaf on a mono is bad,

the mono leaf is made of fiberglass, not metal, and when the pressure is put on it from the extra leaf it makes a rub spot, and added stress in them spots effectively cracking the fibers apart causing a failure.
even with a spring pad in there the extra stress will still break the fibers,

Ok, that's pretty much all i need to hear unless someone begs to differ. I would have assumed it was metal. I definitely do not want to snap the leaf from the pressure of an AAL, looks like i will have to look towards a 4door leaf swap after all. Thank you.

make sure if you go to a junkyard to get the springs for this that you get 2 from the passenger side, that way you won't end up with the gangsta lean right from the start,

make sure if you go to a junkyard to get the springs for this that you get 2 from the passenger side, that way you won't end up with the gangsta lean right from the start,

That's the reason i was straying away from the 4 door swap unless i got new leaves, but getting 2 sets of passenger leaf packs is a great idea, then i can throw a set of AALs in there while they are off. Now to wait until its warm and not so muddy. :rolleyes:

Which spring code is the best? Im looking online at the local auto salvage yard and they have codes: F, H, and L.

hmm, i don't really know, but somebody will,

Back