Abnormal front axle issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Abnormal front axle issue?

mikehenya

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4.6 4x4
I am getting ready to sell my explorer but I want to fix my only issue first. I don't want to take it to a shop if I don't have to. The front CV on the passenger side pulls straight out a little bit. This is enough to trigger the 4x4 auto to go nuts, so I have the brown wire mod for the time being. It's not the 4x4 module, because I bought a new one just in case. The front makes a just little bit of noise in 2wd, fluid looks good and both front bearings have less than 10k on them. I had it looked at and they told me there is an INNER piece that connects to the cv that needs replaced. I have done plenty of joints and CV's at home but never looked inside the actaul tube or messed with gears. Once you put it back into 4x4 auto you can tell that side is binding or straining.

Any help or diagrams would be great! The haynes book is getting more and more useless, doesn't show anything helpful. Thanks!

All external front components are less than a year old, tires, bearings, joints, etc....the right cv is loose and pulls out of the axle tube some. The cv itself is good and not worn, and the nut is tightened to spec. I am afraid to mess with until I know more. No tire wear....

Back