• Register Today It's free!

? about air filter oil on my cai.

2000XPLORERSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
lambertville,mi.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
i have a volant cold air intake.volant didn't send me any cleaner or filter oil.maybe they don't,but all i got was the intake set-up. so i've been cleaning my air filter with spectre cleaner and filter oil.because before i got the volant cai, i had a spectre cone filter from autozone,which i also purchased the spectre cleaner and oil kit.but thats all i had when it was time to clean and oil the volant air filter.is it ok to use the spectre filter cleaner and filter oil? i used it 2 times so far and haven't noticed anything bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not familiar with their product so I can't advise you. But what I do know is that you have to be careful oiling an air filter on a vehicle with a MAF sensor. It's easy to coat the wire with oil and cause problems. And if you coke (cook) the oil on the wire, you may unable to clean it sufficiently and need to replace it.

I agree with what Al recommended. Amsoil filters are not only very effective, but not having to deal with oil is a definite bonus and the route I went with my Volant setup. Hitting an Amsoil once a year with a shop vac is all that's required.

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

If all else fails and you wish to stick with cloth/oil, any cleaning/oiling kit will work (as you've done). I did my old Volant filter with a K&N kit. Only thing is, instead of your filter being blue (as in stock Volant issued AFE filter), it will be red after the maintenance (it's all just dye, the oil is the same across these kits). It is VERY easy to put too much oil on these filters. A technique I learned from this site is to fill your filter with newspaper to sop up the excess oil. Remove the paper and put more in until no more oil is present on the crumpled up paper. It's VERY easy to make a mess of your MAS by over-oiling. All the more reason to stick with an Amsoil filter.

I'm not familiar with their product so I can't advise you. But what I do know is that you have to be careful oiling an air filter on a vehicle with a MAF sensor. It's easy to coat the wire with oil and cause problems. And if you coke (cook) the oil on the wire, you may unable to clean it sufficiently and need to replace it.

yea,i heard that before.i try to just put a light,even coat on the filter.every time i clean/oil the filter,i also clean the maf sensor.

I agree with what Al recommended. Amsoil filters are not only very effective, but not having to deal with oil is a definite bonus and the route I went with my Volant setup. Hitting an Amsoil once a year with a shop vac is all that's required.

intake2.jpg

intake3.jpg

If all else fails and you wish to stick with cloth/oil, any cleaning/oiling kit will work (as you've done). I did my old Volant filter with a K&N kit. Only thing is, instead of your filter being blue (as in stock Volant issued AFE filter), it will be red after the maintenance (it's all just dye, the oil is the same across these kits). It is VERY easy to put too much oil on these filters. A technique I learned from this site is to fill your filter with newspaper to sop up the excess oil. Remove the paper and put more in until no more oil is present on the crumpled up paper. It's VERY easy to make a mess of your MAS by over-oiling. All the more reason to stick with an Amsoil filter.

i agree 100% with you and al.i been thinking of getting an oil-less filter for a while.that amsoil filter you got in those pics celly.what part number is it? and how much did you pay for it? or if you can put a link to that filter for me.it looks like it would fit on my volant intake.

i agree 100% with you and al.i been thinking of getting an oil-less filter for a while.that amsoil filter you got in those pics celly.what part number is it? and how much did you pay for it? or if you can put a link to that filter for me.it looks like it would fit on my volant intake.

I honestly don't remember which model I scored. Measure the inner diameter of the flange of your existing filter and cross reference it to Dead Link Removed.

Pricing depends on whether you've got a preferred membership or not. I'm 95% certain I scored the EAAU3560 rendition of the filter based on the specs of the filter and on the photos and specs Dead Link Removed. Keep in mind that my original Volant kit was for a SOHC equipped Explorer. Not sure if the measurements are the same for the OHV CAI (I think that's what you have). Measure the original specs of your existing filter and get the one that most closely approximates what you have now.

I honestly don't remember which model I scored. Measure the inner diameter of the flange of your existing filter and cross reference it to Dead Link Removed.

Pricing depends on whether you've got a preferred membership or not. I'm 95% certain I scored the EAAU3560 rendition of the filter based on the specs of the filter and on the photos and specs Dead Link Removed. Keep in mind that my original Volant kit was for a SOHC equipped Explorer. Not sure if the measurements are the same for the OHV CAI (I think that's what you have). Measure the original specs of your existing filter and get the one that most closely approximates what you have now.

ok,yea i seen where it shows the different measurements for there filters.i'll measure mine,then find the one closest to it.thanks for the help and info guys!:thumbsup:

another question i was wondering? couldn't i just keep the volant filter i have and just not oil it? like clean it with filter cleaner,rinse it,let air dry,then just put it back on the intake.does the filter really need oil.it seems to look and feel just like the dry filters.

No, that filter is designed for use with oil. The oil is how it works.

No, that filter is designed for use with oil. The oil is how it works.

ok,i kinda figured so.i just wanted to know 100% i'll leave it oiledo until i get me that amsoil filter.thanks al.

Back