? about lubing auto hub

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
Seen many of the posts about not puting grease inside the auto hub, except maybe a very small amount. My question is regarding the cam assembly and such that fit on the wheel bearing locknut. Should those be left dry as well or should they get greased more generously than the outer hub assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only things that need grease are the wheel bearings. A small amount in the hub is ok.

As for the cams...I leave mine dry.

i agree.... i just packed the bearings full of grease and just translucently coat everything else for good measure

also, if you still have the auto hubs and actually plan on reliable 4x4 than i would switch to manual hubs... they arent as convienient but also wont leave you stranded like the auto hubs will.....

mine blew in a ditch... $450 dollar off road recovery bill......

one of the white 4x4 xs at thaven had his blow and we hard a hard time literally pushing his explorer through everything.... but thanks to Winter, the 4x4 x was functional before the weekend was up.....

Automatic hubs on a 92???? Holy smokes, I've never heard of automatics lasting that long! Put manuals on and you'll have paid for them in gas within the first year, plus they're virtually indestructable. I had my Warn manuals installed for $400.

Thanks for the replies. I, like others, debate whether or not to switch to manual hubs; been avoiding it because i haven't gotten into any serious offroading yet. When I do, i'll probably switch to manual hubs to avoid the recovery cost that jimabena mentioned. A couple of weeks ago I repacked the wheel bearings. I knew not to put grease in the outer hub assembly, but, since the cam assembly was covered with grease when I took it off, I resmothered in grease when I reassembled. Since then the hubs have been groaning and engaging on their own. Now that I've cleaned the excess grease out, they seem to be back to normal.

One question, AJ. Why do you think I'd save gas with manual hubs? As I see it, the auto hubs should unlock as freely as manual hubs. At least, the auto hubs on my explorer seem to be as free as the manual hubs on my BII.

Hmmm... my auto hubs have been engaging on there own also. I took off the wheel and the hub assembly was FULL of grease. I decided not to touch it and put it all back together as is. But from what I'm reading it is recommended to wipe all the grease off?

Also, with the Warn(sp) hubs, I assume engaging 4 wheel drive is still done with the dash button, I would just have to lock the hubs first?

Lastly, who sells the Warn(sp) hubs?

MrShorty
When you unlock manuals you take all the spring tension and drag off the front axle. Automatics still maintain that friction because in the event that you press the button on the dash, they have to be able to pop in. However if your automatics are still working and engaging more power to ya, but when one of them goes you'll really notice a difference in milage then. Maybe I should have said that first. When one of the auto's goes you'll notice a lot of drag and its like you're pushing your front axle, plus the rim gets really hot to the touch.

Dont know about the grease but ya, you still have to press the button on the dash, that engages the transfer case. You manually lock/unlock the hubs by turning a little knob on the hub a quarter turn. And any large parts store sells the Warn manuals.

Back