• Register Today It's free!

ABS crisis!!!

mlcase27

Reaction score
City, State
lagrange indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
Hello again everyone! I have a new issue! I have a 94 ford exlorer XLT. I belive it has 4 wheel ABS. Just recently I have been noticing that when I slam on the brakes like for deer and what not, the back tires lock up and I almost loose control. The ABS was working just fine a while ago. If their is say brake dust on the sencores in the front could that effect the rear ABS? The light is not on and we just put brand new tires on it. I checked the back brakes and the brake pads look good. Any sugestions???
Thank you!:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brake dust should not effect the sensors. They are hall effect sensors. You may want to check to see that the pump/valve assembly is getting power and that the control module is getting power. I don't know if this condition would put the light on or not. I never have messed with the anti-lock much. I think you even need a special code reader to hook to it, unless you have a good scanner.

Your truck does have four wheel ABS being a 94. The rear is activated by one sensor and the fronts have two seperate ones. There is also one valve for both rear wheels and one for each front wheel. It is all contained with a small pump, in one unit, bolted to the frame just above the steering box.

Try activating the system in gravel or mud, its easy to lock em up that way. You will see if it works at all. I think you have to do a minimum of 5MPH to activate it. Typically you lock up the fronts before the backs. I have rarely had the ABS activate in my 92, and never in my 94.

ABS problem

I just turned it on start and the light did come on then went off. I could not check it when I start it cuz my daughter is sleeping and we have an attached garage but I will check tomarrow. Thank you!

How are the rear drums? Look alright? You said the shoes were good. I'd probably replace the rear brake cylinders and see if that helps.

Again, another problem that my Sport had endured. I replaced both wheel cylinders and the brake shoes. Once the shoes are soaked in brake fluid, it doesnt matter if they have alot of life left in them, they're ruined. When you have the drum off look at the axle seal. If there's any moisture around it then you'll have to do bearings, seals and shoes. Either way you got some work to do. Then your ABS will work right. Once I changed the WC and the shoes and bled and adjusted everything, they worked great!
Good Luck

ABS problem

Ok, Thank you everyone for the replies. I will try everything everyone mentioned. I will let everyone know what I find out. Thank you again!!:exp:

ABS problem

By the way, is their a special kind of code reader I need for my truck? If so what is it called? Thank you!

just a test light, or you can use the ABS light in the cab. You'll be counting flashes of the bulb to get your codes.

eg: 3 flashes, short pause, 2 flashes, short pause, 1 flash, long pause = code 323. I don't know if there is a code 323, it's just an example of how to read the flashes.

just a test light, or you can use the ABS light in the cab. You'll be counting flashes of the bulb to get your codes.

eg: 3 flashes, short pause, 2 flashes, short pause, 1 flash, long pause = code 323. I don't know if there is a code 323, it's just an example of how to read the flashes.

The ABS code is a two digit code, flashes are very fast (more than PCM flash)

ABS problem

The abs light in the cab doesn't flash, it just comes on for a few secounds at start-up then shuts off.

what kind of test light and how do you use it for this kind of test?

The abs light in the cab doesn't flash, it just comes on for a few secounds at start-up then shuts off.

The light flashes is only during ABS self test. If the light off after few second the ABS is ok,

Back