Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap

Well.. once again I've caved in to peer pressure.. you guys are a bad influence!!!

I've decided that this summer will see me do an Electric shift 4406 conversion aswell as a full width SAS/SOA conversion.

Now, I've been offered the entire front end from a 79 bronco for $400 or the entire from end from an 89 Ramcharger for $100...

My intentions are to use coil springs and RAs up front not leaf springs,

So which Dana 44 will be best? Can I put the spring seats on the Dodge axle? The Dodge set up comes with the vacuum set up, but I'll be switching to an elec locker at a later date anyway.

The cost is not the issue, I want to use the correct stuff first off,

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So, I'm now thinking about getting a narrower D44... and just putting spacers on the back to make up the difference... although, the fullsize is 6" wider and the stock with spacers will be 4" wider... for the sake of saving an inch either side... what's the point...

Does anyone know how much narrower the EB D44 is over the one I have?

Si

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The EB D44 is 5 0n 5.5

It is also a low pinion axle. Might have to modify the front drive shaft yolk for more angle to prevent binding.

You wont have to cut the housing on this as it is fairly close to the Ex 8.8 width.

When we cut the full width D44 down to run the stock EB axles, we take off 6" from the pass side tube housing.

I would upgrade the stock EB axles to the newer versions with bigger U-joints, and/or Chromoly's. Stock axles are terrible, and weak. Your 5:13 gears and that V-8 will snap em easy.

Put that into your budget when deciding what your going to do. ;)

Ok... can't find an EB D44 for love nor money... so... if I got my D44 narrowed.. they'd have to take 6" out of the tube from at the pumpkin end, right? then the shaft... ?

Si

On your cast wedge axle there is a couple methods.

You can remove from the middle of the tube, (which is easiest), but a Jig should be used for a true straight weld, when putting back together. And you can leave all the guts in the diff, and the drivers side can stay together doing this.

OR.... remove the tube from the pumkin end. This is more labor intensive with the plug welds to deal with, and the axle should be stripped completely down the just the housing. Then re do the plug welds, and for goodness sake, run a bead from tube to housing in case a plug fails and the tube spins.

Your just going to be replacing the shafts on the pass side with shorter ones. You can have em custom made to length if you decide to shorten the tube to something other than the EB width. It's just less expensive, headache free, and EB replacement shafts are cheap and easy to get over custom shafts.

hmmm... .decisions decisions...

I still dunno if I wanna keep with the full width or not... but,

in the last 2 weeks, my rear locker and my 5.13s for the 8.8 showed up... i ended up going with Yukon gears and the locker was purchased from a fellow forum member

Si

Attachments

• locker.jpg
    locker.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 513s.jpg
    513s.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 275

Nice parts ****!

ok... so, I was talking to a guy last night who informs me that a mid 80s J**P would work for the front... I'm waiting to hear back from the guy selling an 88 wagoneer...

This would make the bp a 5x4.5 I think.. but, should, in theory be the same width as the stock width... I'd then ditch the rims/tires I have and go with something else instead... still intending to add 6" of lift though...

Any thoughts?

Si

I thought there was a few jeeps that had a Dana 44 with ABS discs and the same bolt pattern as ours

If you're getting a Jeep Grand Wagoneer dana 44 it has a 6x5.5" bp and is only about 4-5" wider track width then the stock Ex/ ST width, I'm using a D44 from a '89 GW for mine. The Dana 30's from Jeep Cherokee's and regular unibody Wagoneer from the 80's had the 5x4.5" bp.

if you wanna go with the D30 check out StangGT's buld's, he use's mainly D30's on his builds.

I've got all my parts to do the manual hubs on my v8 sport and my mounty so the 4406 swaps will begin soon, im putting a manual in the mounty but im still goin with the e-shift in the sport,

ok, so, I did some digging and you can't get 5.13s for a D30... so back to a D44... gonna try n hunt down the entire front end from a Jeep...

Si

I'm worse than a girl... I'm just gonna get the front narrowed n run spacers/adapters on the back... I'll do with the ABS...

Si

ok. so.. the plans are as follows...

Narrow the D44 to almost the same as stock width
Run 2" wide 5x4.5 to 5x5.5 adapters on the rear
Extended radius arms - unsure of brand as yet, waiting to hear back from a few manufacturers, suggestions welcomed.
Still planning to go SOA in the rear with add-a-leaf
Also still planning to use the 37x14x15 Super Swampers for the time being

I have an idea for fender flares... but, that's last on the list...

Anything I'm missing?

Si

so, there's nobody the whole province that can shorten and re-spline my passenger side axle.. so... would I be able to use the shaft from an EBD44

Cliky

Si

Back