ABS Issues after replacing Hub Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Issues after replacing Hub Assembly

ImmortalBones

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey there everyone, this is my first post on the forums, everyone around here is so good, my questions are usually answered with a quick search. This time I'm a little stumped though. Spent a good chunk of my day diagnosing and replacing the driver's side front Hub Assembly on my 2000 Explorer XLT. Felt great to put the car in reverse and hear no more noises. The problems started when I put it in drive, and the ABS light came on, accompanied by a lovely little ticking noise, that increases in noise and frequency with speed. Only when driving forward however. It got dark before I finished putting it back together (thanks to the incompetence at autozone, where they don't even know what parts ACTUALLY go for your model or not) so I didn't feel like messing with it any more tonight. But does anyone know what could cause the noise and ABS light? The assembly came with a brand new wire for the ABS attached to it, so I doubt that's at fault. It would be awesome to get a few ideas from the knowledgeable folks around here, because this is my first car with ABS, I've never had to deal with it before. Ah, the expensive luxuries -_-

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds as though the ABS sensor is hitting the tone ring. Return the part I believe it's defective.

It sounds as though the ABS sensor is hitting the tone ring. Return the part I believe it's defective.

I was wondering about that. When taking the old Hub off, I removed the old wire for the ABS, thinking I needed to save it. When I took it off there were a bunch of metal shavings magnetized to it. Not sure if that is normal or not, but it definitely sounds like the new sensor is rubbing the spline on the end of the CV axle. Are there any other possibilities for this, or is it most likely a defective part?

This is highly unlikely. I'm sure you spun the hub in you hand before the install and felt nothing, Also, it would make noise in reverse if the sensor was making contact with the ring. I cant imagine any company putting out a product with such poor quality control as to have the sensor rubbing the tone ring.

I'm going out now to take her back apart and see what I can find. Any other ideas if it's not the sensor rubbing?

I'm going out now to take her back apart and see what I can find. Any other ideas if it's not the sensor rubbing?

i seems to me, if you didn't have an ABS issue before changing the hub, the problem must be related to the new hub/ABS sensor or the wiring. was the hub you bought cheap Chinese stuff?

Only other things I can think of would be dust shield or half shaft CV.

Drdoom was correct, the sensor was rubbing, its about 2mm too long. The plastic was all cracked and chewed. I bought the duralast hub instead of the timken to save myself some money, and I get this trash. So i took the old ABS sensor (so glad I saved it) and replaced the new one with the old (odd sounding) and no more noise. The ABS light is still on on my dash however, and my brake pedal feels pretty hard. Disconnected the battery for a good hour, still have an ABS light. Autozone wants $90 for a new sensor, I have half a mind to just take this hub off and return it for the timken.

Also, as a side note, I called autozone about how their "OEM" hub assembly didn't work on my car. The MANAGER at Autozone told me that sometimes Duralast parts don't meet all OEM specifications.

I believe I shall be boycotting them from now on.

Back