• Register Today It's free!

Abs issues??

gonzomama

Reaction score
City, State
panhandle florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Ok guys I'm hoping someone can help me out with this. I have a 93' 2 wheel drive that is clearly having some kind of ABS issues. When the ABS light is on no problems but when the ABS light is off is when the ABS light acts up. You can feel it in the wheels and steering I'm not sure how to explain it. My husband who is a mechanic has checked it out and can't find the problem. The brakes are in good shape..... Anyway I'm getting ready to take her on a little road trip and would like to find the problem.Any suggestions??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have some kind of intermittent failure, possibly in a wheel speed sensor. The brakes feel ok when the light is on because they ABS disables itself and turns on the light when it finds trouble with itself. There is a way to pull codes from the ABS computer and that is what you need to do. Find the code and then use that to guide your search for the problem.

Ted it's just the opposite no problems when the light is on?! I'll take her to the shop and see what codes the old man can pull off of it. I've planned to tackle the headliner this weekend so probably won't happen till Monday. I'll let you know what we find.

You're not experiencing anything when the light is on, but that is because the ABS is disabled when the light is on and you only have regular brakes. When it is off, the computer thinks everything is ok, but it's getting bad information from an intermittent sensor or other problem, and it is activating when it should not be.

ABS works by sensing the differences in speed between the different wheels and then varying the brake pressure to the one that is slower than the others (presumed to be skidding) to keep it spinning so you do not loose control. So if there is a sensor not reading correctly, it thinks there is a difference in speed when there really isn't one and weird things happen.

Check this thread for info on getting the codes:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258803

Thanks for the link Ted and I get it now! All else fails I can disconnect the abs right? I think I read a few links about that yesterday. I want to try and fix it first I'm just thinking options if I can't.

Ted I think it was the wheel speed sensor. Cleaned both sides and the problem seems to be gone for now. Thanks again for all your help!

Back