• Register Today It's free!

ABS light comes on intermittenly.

flyboy52

Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a 2002 XLT Explorer. The ABS light comes on after about 45 minutes of highway driving and stays on. The next day the light will be off again. It does not come on during lower speed local driving. I have not yet tested the ABS braking system on slippery pavement so don't know if ABS system is working when light comes on. Any thougts on how to fix, or is it worth fixing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. Your profile says 92 but the vehicle in question is a 2002? :confused: Clean the wheel sensors with brake cleaner spray. Metallic brake dust gets caught on the sensors, and causes problems.

IF in fact it IS a 2002 - most likely, the rear ABS sensor is throwing the code. The rear ABS sensor is located in the rear pumpkin's housing, at the top of it. The sensor itself runs about $30 and it can be replaced at home, if you have common tools. It will take a little time to replace due to the location of the sensor.

See if you can get AutoZone to pull the exact trouble code to confirm it's the rear (or possibly fronts). 95% of the time, the experience has been that the failure code is the rear sensor.

This was happening to me. I was having the dif looked at by the shop at the same time. They removed the sensor and there was a ton of metal shavings stuck to the sensors magnet. The diff needed to be rebuilt because of clutch packs and bearings being damaged. But, after the diff repair no more ABS light.

ABS Light

Thanks, I will try the suggestions. Also sorry for the confusion -- I have a 2002 Explorer. I will fix my profile.

had the rear one go on my 04. Took more time to lower the spare tire. haha .

I would blow out around the sensor with compressed air as no dirt will fall down in there.

Greetings,

I too am having problems pinpointing an ABS error with my '02 V8 4x4 EB. After about 6 months of the ABS lighting up occationally, the ABS light now appears at startup (before moving the vehicle) and remains constant until key off - if the key is on and motor running, the light is on, moving or not.

My local Auto Zone cannot read ABS codes, only CEL codes. I have replaced the rear sensor, cleaned both front sensors, and most recently replaced the LF Hub (complete with ABS sensor). I have disconnected and reconnected the battery several times and checked the fuses associated with the ABS system. No luck.

I have read most, if not all of the threads here, but have come up empty. Any suggestions?

Jimmy

You really need to get the codes checked. I have read on teh forum here that some people have installed rear sensors from the chain parts stores and the did not work right. So that is a possibility. The right fron hub/bearing/ABS sensor asselby could be bad too.

Some chain tire shops can pull the ABS codes for a fee, usually less than dealer charge. Maybe free if you frequent the same tire shop for your routine maintenance.

Thanks again for this post! I had the dsame problem with my '01 Explorer. It is only 2 wheel drive (wife didn't want 4wd), but brake dust on the driver side speed sensor was the culprit. Now all good. Thanks again.

Back