• Register Today It's free!

ABS Light on, no DTC?

RidgeRacer

Reaction score
City, State
Pacific NW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
The other morning the ABS trouble light came on when I started the engine and didn't go out. I borrowed an OBD scanner from a friend and it returned no trouble codes found. Is there a condition where the light is on and there are no trouble codes?

I'm not that familiar with OBD. I know the Engine ECU is a different box from the ABS computer but are they on the same CAN bus and read from the same connector or is there a different connector for checking the ABS?

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT, V6.

Thanks for your help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

forscan (forscan.org) with an ELM327 ODB2 reader can pull ABS codes.

Forscan is free, so take it for what it's worth. I have never pushed any commands to any of my vehicles. I only pull data and codes.

forscan (forscan.org) with an ELM327 ODB2 reader can pull ABS codes.

Forscan is free, so take it for what it's worth. I have never pushed any commands to any of my vehicles. I only pull data and codes.

Thanks for the heads up...I tried the FORscan and it worked. I had been using Torque on my Android which apparently only pulls the engine ecu codes.

C1230 Wheel Speed Sensor Center.
C1102 Acceleration switch circuit failure.

Now to figure those out.

Thanks for the heads up...I tried the FORscan and it worked. I had been using Torque on my Android which apparently only pulls the engine ecu codes.

Now to figure those out.

When my rear speed sensor went out, it caused the ABS to disable itself.

It's right on top of the rear differential and cost me about $15 at autozone.

I couldn't get the new one in all the way (about 1/16", probably due to corrosion), but it was enough to clear the codes for me.

Don't remember what the codes were at that time, but your C1230 sounds familiar.

Now to figure those out.

Purchased Forscan .. had $10 credit.. def displays more info..

I replaced the rear ABS sensor and the ABS light went out soon as I turned the key.

BTW I found the sensor easier to get to by dropping the spare tire and sneaking up on it from behind.

The single bolt holding it down is a 3/8"

Back