ABS light on...what to look for??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS light on...what to look for???

blove

Reaction score
City, State
Sugar Land
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
2000 explorer xlt. The abs light has been on for a week. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i went to pep boys and bought a rear wheel abs sensor it was 12 bucks and that fixed the problem on mine

I've just had a similar experience on my 2000 XLT. Purchased the rear ABS speed sensor from Kragen's for $12.99 and that solved the problem.

Without scanning for the code causing the illumination of the ABS light, a replacement of parts to resolve the issue is simply a crap shoot.

Agreed - read for any codes.

just as an FYI: a dying battery once gave me an ABS light as a symptom. after battery was replaced, the ABS light went away.

In my case a check of the speed sensor resistance showed an open circuit, so there was a good possibility that the sensor went bad. I agree that ideally you want to scan for the code but if a scanner is not available taking the car to a shop and paying for the diagnostics is time consuming and costly. In reading the forums on this issue, it appeared that the speed sensor is frequently the culprit, so at least for me it was worth the gamble to spend $12.99 and five minutes of work to see if it would resolve the problem.

jkexplorer said:
In my case a check of the speed sensor resistance showed an open circuit, so there was a good possibility that the sensor went bad. I agree that ideally you want to scan for the code but if a scanner is not available taking the car to a shop and paying for the diagnostics is time consuming and costly. In reading the forums on this issue, it appeared that the speed sensor is frequently the culprit, so at least for me it was worth the gamble to spend $12.99 and five minutes of work to see if it would resolve the problem.

Same for me. I initially took my explorer to a shop for them to scan the code but they wanted $50 just to scan for the code. So after doing some research on this forum I checked the resistance for all 3 ABS sensors and the rear sensor was not reading correctly. I replaced it and no problems since.
Same thing happened to my bosses 2000 XLS with the same results.

Ditto. Mine had been on for over a year. I recently purchased a service DVD that showed the resistance value range fore the sensors. I checked them an low an behold it was the rear sensor also.

The resistance for your sensors should be
Rear - 800-3500 ohms
Front - 800-1400 ohms (4x2) or 380-480 ohms (4x4)

This is from the ford pubs for a 2000.

In my experience a sensor is the most likely culprit. (could also be a wiring problem leading to the sensors, the wiring is in a pretty hazardous spot for wires)

Yes, when the ABS sensor coil or the wiring is open, the ABS light would come on. If it is the front one that is open, you should clean the mounting surface with a wire brush and put high temp grease on it before putting the new sensor on. That would eliminate the low speed false triggering of the ABS brake system.

I had false trigger of the ABS brakes just before a complete stop on dry surface with both of my trucks. Cleaning the mounting surface fixed the problem.

This just happened to my 2000 XLT 4x4 yesterday. ABS light on steady. Checked all fuses, wiring, disconnected battery, no help. After reading this thread, checked resistance of rear wheel ABS sensor. It was open, no resistance. Checked right front and got 444 ohms. I'll be picking up a new rear sensor today!

Edit: Installed the sensor this afternoon, and the problem was immediately cured. $23.38 total for a new Ford part (I know, Advance Auto would have the Raybestos part for less).

I have an 02 XLS. I'm having trouble accessing the rear sensor. Is it on top of the differential? I have the OE Ford part in hand just can't get locate the sensor itself on the truck.

On my 2000 XLT it's on top of the differential. Try looking for a wiring cable around that location. It should terminate at the sensor. Good luck...

man i just checked all of my sensors and they all read something the rear read 1500 ohms BUT both of the front ones read 11600 ohms i dont think the front ones should be that hight im gonna look more in deepth tomorrow since its 2am LoL but i sure hope u guys can help me figure this out my trucks its a 96 XLT V8 thanks in advance
oh i almost forgot i took my truck once into this sorry ass shop and they ran some tests with a computer and told me they could not comunicate with the ABS computer and that they had check all the cables and replace the ABS module "computer" the guy said something around 500 dollars??? i think they were full of **** and they wanted to rip me off..... so i told em to F*** off :fire:

My abs light came on about 2 weeks ago. Thought it could be driven for a while because it was probably a bad sensor. 3 days ago front end starting making noise on turns. Turns out front hub was shot and it destroyed the speed sensor causing the abs light. $400 bucks later everything is fine.

00 EB w/101,000

I 2 have had a problem w/ my ABS light. I am going to look into a reer sensor and replace to see if that gets rid of the problem.... Its been on for a while and the brakes seem to be working fine...

keishaglenn said:
I 2 have had a problem w/ my ABS light. I am going to look into a reer sensor and replace to see if that gets rid of the problem.... Its been on for a while and the brakes seem to be working fine...

Reread post # 5.

reread post #18

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back