• Register Today It's free!

ABS light

rayko

Reaction score
City, State
Bayonne, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Recently(about 1 week ago) my ABS light lit up. Sometimes after shutting the truck down the light goes out. When it's out I get a funny feeling in the brake pedal(when applied the pedal drops about 1/4 - 1/2 inch) when the light goes on, the pedal feels normal again. The pads are fine, I checked them.
I'm taking it to the dealer later this week but I'd like to have an idea of what it may be, before I get screwed by the dealer.
Thanks for any help anyone may have...........

The ABS system will reset itself every time the ignition is shut off. This turns the light off. If the fault that triggered the ABS is a hard fault (not intermintent) the light will come back almost immediatly.

I had a problem where my ABS would engage on its own when I somtimes hit the brakes. I can tell you what commonly happens. There is rust build up by the ABS sensor and it sends a negitive singnal to the abs and thinks it needs to engage. If you go to teh stealership they will tell you, you need new ABS sensors. Which for the most part is a lia. So I had to trust mechanic shave down the rust around the ABS Sensor and BAM! Everything worked 100 % right.

Back