• Register Today It's free!

ABS light

jeff4315

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT V6 4.0L
I have a 2003 XLT V6 4.0L. Recently, the ABS light came on. I had a mechanic scan the vehicle, and he said the code indicated a failure in the right front wheel speed sensor. I replaced the sensor with a new one. When I started the engine and backed out of my driveway, the light remained on. However, when I drove down the block the light turned off for about 30 seconds but then it came back on and stayed on until I parked again.

The next time I drove it, the exact same thing happened. The light was on when I backed out of the garage, then went off after a few seconds of driving forward. Then, it came back on again after about thirty seconds and has been on ever since.

The fact that the ABS light went off (however briefly) seems to indicate to me that the sensor I changed was indeed the source of the problem. However, I'm not sure what to do now. I would appreciate any tips.

(This is my first post, so please be kind.)

Jeff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably have a bad wheel bearing. The tone ring is inside the bearing and when they get loose it will ruin the abs sensor.

Thanks for the very quick response to my posting. I appreciate the help. Is the best fix for a bad wheel bearing to replace the entire hub assembly? If so, is that something that a novice could/should tackle?

^ there is a great post about the wheel bearings. Is your front end humming. People replace the whole hub assembly as it comes with a sensor. Maybe you goofed up the sensor putting it back in? Make sure it is clean.

On my 04 , I had the ABS light come and go and it turned out to be the sensor in the rear on the differential. There is only one sensor and it is on top of the diff. 30$ from ford.
All it is to replace it is a wire clip, and one bolt. (make sure the area is clean of dirt when you remove the sensor.)

Or there is a sensor near the Brake fluid resivoir, or under it(cant remember) that people I have heard go out.

Thank you

Thank you for your timely and helpful responses. I did confirm it was a wheel bearing by using the "12 o'clock/6 o'clock" test I read about elsewhere. I replaced the wheel hub assembly and this solved the problem. Thanks again for your help.

Jeff

Back