• Register Today It's free!

ABS light

N7XME

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 LTD
First off I have a 1993 XLT. Completely stock with no modifications. The ABS light began going on and off at varying times for no apparent reason several months ago. I swapped the relays around in the engine compartment to check if that could be a problem since I can hear the relays clicking every once in a while, usually just before the light turns off. After doing that the ABS light stayed on solid so I swapped them all back to the original positions and the light is on solid now and hasn't turned off in about a week. There is a diagnostic connector on the driver side fender well for the ABS, but I cannot find a reader that will pull codes from the ABS system. I have pulled the sensors and cleaned them and their connectors with no change. The local brake shop wants too much to diagnose it and the brakes were done about 6 months ago. How can I find out what is wrong with the ABS? Is it possible to have air in the system causing this if it wasn't bled properly the last time? TIA.

It is possible to have residual air bubbles if it wasn't bled correctly and that would certainly turn on the ABS light. Others have also stated problems involving water contamination of the brake fluid, this is another possibility. As it turned out, I had this same problem after changing my rotors, calipers, master cylinder, etc... the stupid ABS light came on and never turned off. Three months later, I discovered that it was actually the stupid little sensor on the master cylinder that detects when brake fluid is low in the reserve. Connect a jumper wire from the purple/white to the purple/yellow and leave the connector aloft. Turn the ignition on and if the lights are off, then the reservoir sensor is the source of conflict, not the ABS.
Hope this helps!!
Greg

Originally posted by N7XME
There is a diagnostic connector on the driver side fender well for the ABS, but I cannot find a reader that will pull codes from the ABS system. ... How can I find out what is wrong with the ABS?.

There is a cheap code reader for your ABS issues. Walmart sells them for around $20. It's the Ford Code Reader for Ford, Lincoln & Mercury 1981 to 1995.

Use it and check for your ABS codes. Otherwise, you'll just be guessing and throwing parts at it. 93-95 Explorers with 4WAL can use this reader.

I will try the jumper thing tomorrow. I have the code reader for Fords that cost about $80, and it won't read the ABS system; unless I am doing something wrong. Thanks.

Back