ABS please help

expo5.0

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Red Wing, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i need to bypass my abs system. i see that there are 3 lines running out of it and only 2 running into it. I'm assuming what needs to be done is that i need to "bypass" it by running the lines that go in directly to the ones that go out???

if someone has any idea of how this can be done please let me know.

also, please do not tell me i'm stupid for removing it etc. my truck is now exclusively a weekend summer show truck and it no longer has a need for abs or a thousand other modern safety features and doodads that have already been removed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know the output of it is two lines for the front, one for the rear. Hope that helps a little :p

or you can just screw up a sensor.

you guys are sort of missing the point

i'm not trying to disable it.... i've already done that.

i'm trying to remove the damn thing so i can put suspension components in its place. as in the abs unit itself.

i need to figure out what to do with those lines so that my brakes will still work, but without that dumb thing in there at all.

My guess would be that on is a return and the other is under pressure, It should say in a service manual if anyone has one.

You will need to find some sort of compatable proportioning valve, as the EHCU takes the place of a prop. valve. I can't say that I've ever seen a 2nd gen. Explorer without abs, but I'm sure they exist. If not, perhaps from a Ranger.

hmm, maybe i should just relocate it to where the battery is now.

how do i go about lenthening those lines?

relocating the battery is easy

Lines are easy, you can do it yourself with some brake tubing, a flaring tool, and some connectors. Or you could get custom ones like stainless.

sounds excellent! napa have that stuff if i go over there and look confused?

how do you bend them? they are hard metal lines now? can i bend my own, or shoudl i use something different.

nope just like copper tubeing. there is a cheap handheld bender you could use

Ya napa has all of it, just take one of the fittings off or find out the size so you can get the correct fittings.

in order to take a fitting off do i need to like depressurize the system? i should probably just consult my haynes manual ( i know nothig about brakes) will i need more brake fluid?

You don't need to depressurize the brakes, but the problem is opening the system between the ABS pump and the master cylinder may introduce air into the ABS pump, with will require a special bleeding procedure.

so how would i do that special bleeding procedure? or should i just hope i don'[t need to. I plan on doing this soon.

I don't know if anyone here knows how to bleed the ABS without a scan tool. That's how I do it, I have never tried any other way.

The early 1st gen Explorers have no ABS. You might use one of those combination valves. You will be making lines either way, and you may need a different master cylinder.
If it's about space, and not weight, you should keep the ABS by relocating it.
Heed the advice about air in ABS pumps, the brakes will be spongy until bled with a special tool. Good luck,
Don

i'm gonna have to relocate at the very least. how do i deal with teh special tool probleM?

Bring it to the dealership where they can cycle the abs pump to get the air out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how will it be driving it to a place that can cycle it? will it be driveable?

Back