ABS Problem

Basty

Reaction score
City, State
Wolfsburg, Lower Saxony
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 U2 - 115KW OHV
Hi,

my dad has got a 1996 4.0L OHV 2nd gen. Explorer. It's a German version but I think the differences aren't that big.

The Explorer has the following problem with the ABS:
The break works fine until the car slows down and reaches a speed of about 5 km/h (3 mph). Then the ABS starts. You can feel the rattle and you can hear an engine which starts to work. This will last until the car stands still or you lift up your foot and step on the break for a second time.

The ABS Lamp will not light up (it still works – you can see it when you start the car). We read out the error memory but there was no error. We changed all ABS sensors and the ABS control unit. We had the car at local Ford dealer. They said the wheel hub in the right front is damaged and must be replaced. So we changed the wheel hub in the right front.

I have to say that the Ford dealers in Germany don’t have any experience with the Explorer. If there’s something we can’t fix by our own, a Ford dealer won’t be able to do it, either.

I will appreciate any suggestions to fix this problem.

Greetings from Germany …
Basty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 96 that had the same problem and I found out through the great people here that there is an ABS sensor on top of the rear axle.If this isn't working properly the abs pump in front thinks the rear wheels are slipping when you come to a stop and thus kicks on abs pump which is the motor that you're hearing.That sensor also controls the cruise control I think,so if your cruise control doesn't work also that rear sensor is probably your problem.It's a small black sensor with wires going to it on top of the rear axle [ differential if I remember right]and it's not exspensive to replace.Hope this helps.Good luck.

Forgot to tell you,it is easy to do yourself.It's easier to get to if you remove the spare and raise the rear some.Only one small bolt holds it on.Just clean around it before you take it out so dirt doesn't get into the axle.Good luck.

I have a 96 that had the same problem and I found out through the great people here that there is an ABS sensor on top of the rear axle.If this isn't working properly the abs pump in front thinks the rear wheels are slipping when you come to a stop and thus kicks on abs pump which is the motor that you're hearing.That sensor also controls the cruise control I think,so if your cruise control doesn't work also that rear sensor is probably your problem.It's a small black sensor with wires going to it on top of the rear axle [ differential if I remember right]and it's not exspensive to replace.Hope this helps.Good luck.

I agree with this diagnosis. And it is easy to replace. I did it on my Sport Trac about 3 years ago. Took only about 10 minutes to complete.

Thanks for your response. We replaced the rear sensor, too. All sensors and the control unit are new now. To exclude that the new ones are broken we took the sensors from another xp because the problem was still there.

No idea what to check next.

Back