ABS Pump Failure? - 94 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ABS Pump Failure? - 94 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

HKAWolf

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4WD
94 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD - Mileage 118K
No major repairs. Minor repairs: (1) water pump, 75K; (2) heater relay switch, 105K

Three weeks ago, my Explorer had check engine light come on. Multiple error codes from all different components that could not be read using EEC-IV hub under the hood, but manually extracted with self-test mode off utilizing blinking "check engine" light -- long story short... replaced ECU with remanufactured Ford computer and no problems with ECU or electrical system since (runs better than when new).

Now, one week later yellow ABS warning light on intermittently (ABS light comes on when cranked, then off, then on when in motion - i.e. no software issue) only in late afternoon and never in morning and may go 4-5 days with no ABS light on at all. I have checked fuses, connections, grounds, master cylinder fluid level -- all normal.

Checked ABS codes at a trusted mechanic shop: only one code (63) ABS Pump/Motor Failure, not wheel speed sensor as I suspected.

Question:
Is this possible or even probable? Could it be a bad relay? I do not want to spend $1000 to replace ABS Pump/Motor assembly on a vehicle worth $1500, and, if necessary, I will probably continue to drive it without ABS working and forego the expense. Please help me with this...

No one other than mechanic replacing ECU has performed any work on this vehicle and, to my knowledge, it has not had any energy surge (i.e. lightning). I'm clueless regarding why this has happened.

Thanks

I do know is this will help, just kind of related......
My ABS light was comming on and off at random for about a month, every other day or so untill my battery finally died. Replaced battery, no more ABS light problem. Sounds weird I know.
The only problem with the battery was if I ran the AC on HI and then I would notice the AMP needle jumping with the turn signal. The only thing I can figure is that some how my AC fan is drawing too much load, droping the sensing circut for the ABS just past that critical point causing the light to come on.

This is a 911 issue? :)

The ABS does have a relay; it is under the hood in the relay center on the passenger side. It might be worth $10 to try that. I know what you mean when you say you may just not worry about the ABS not functioning; it's not an essential system and may not be cost-effective to replace. On my truck it works about 30% of the time, and I don't worry about it. I may eventually by-pass the ABS completely, or I may simply pull the dash light, since I don't plan on selling the truck any time soon.

Back