• Register Today It's free!

ABS triggering at low speed

kevinjohn

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
'96 Explorer sometimes triggers ABS at very low speeds (just before coming to a stop). Intermittent -- maybe 30% of the time. Dry pavement. ABS works fine on actual slippery conditions.

Other sources suggest this is due to corrosion at speed sensor mount at wheel, causing bad ground connection and low speed signal drop-out.

Before I yank them out for a look-see, anyone have other opinions?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing with 97.... I changed both hubs left and right (97's have integrated speed sensors/hub) not sure about 96's .no change so I changed rear sensor, still no change .... I unpluged abs under front wheel well , light comes and no abs sorry i cant help but I'm in same boat I'm scared it's the abs brake module... $$$ plus lots of brake lines!!! ( started 30% and now everytime)
HELP!!

Steve

try putting a good scanner on it and see what the reading are on each abs sensor while your driving around, thats the only way to know for sure whats happening...I think they should be around 5 volts at normal speeds.

stevenh, did you do a brake job befor this happened? lol, using the big red plyers to push the pistons back in w/o cracking the bleed screw, that'll ruin the module, doesnt happen lots but it does happen

This is a typical problem with Explorers as far as I can tell. My 97 did it as well as my 2000 starting to do it within the last year. The only thing to do is find the bad sensor and replace the sensor. Unfortunately the sensor is part of the hub on the front of the truck and for the cost of a $30 sensor, you have to spend $150 on an entire bearing / hub / sensor assembly.

Hey skoal
Good points.. when it first started I went to ford garage and had them scan it and the left was dropping of 4-points different than the right.I changed left hub no change, changed right hub ,no change , changed rear sensor, still no change ....I have in the past done brake jobs without cracking bleeders dont crack bleeder on 02 either I go slow with c-clamp i better be carefull from now on, I think module are real expensive!! more than the ex.plor. is worth.
Still trying to ready for winter any sugestion welcome.
Steve

I had the same problem with my 96, I figured I would change my brake fluid to rule out any cheap fixes and believe it or not it corrected the problem.

Same problem on 94 Ex!

Happened after paying Precision tune for a brake job. They told me I was crazy :confused:

I disconnected the ABS sensor on the side in question. Phenomenon went away but ABS light stays on.

New part is $80 for front ABS sensor. Waaa Only $20 for rear.

I would love to know if its the sensor B4 I spend more gas money to fix things that aren't broken. Any Ideas?

Back