AC blowing different termperatures | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC blowing different termperatures

Knavey

Reaction score
City, State
VALRICO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
2017 Ford Explorer has different temperatures coming from the 4 front vents. The drivers side is about 10 degrees warmer than the passenger side. I have tried cycling all the vents, temperature controls, defroster, etc. Run them up and down with no change when I go back to maximum AC with a LO setpoint.

Found a post that said to push the climate control/defrost buttons at the same time, then climate control again. Tried that...heard the vents cycle, but still back to difference in temperature.

Looking for more ideas. Blend door actuator maybe? Is there a way to reset the door?

Also, does anyone have a good diagram that shows the different connections under the drivers side dashboard. Maybe the damper actuator needs rezeroed?

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I would think that being where you are, that airconditioning not heating would be what's being used.;)
Do you have the same issue when using the A/C?
This may or may bot be of any use since it may not retain to the 2016+ models. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...015-explorer-component-location-views.425587/

Peter

You are correct...at this time of year, definitely AC. The AC on the passenger blows colder, and the drivers side is blowing cool, but not cold.

Also, was not able to access that thread you linked to.

I don't know why the link doesn't work. It does for me but I've had others mention that as well. Go to the main page of this "Discussion" forum and then look up in the 'Stickies' section. There you will see List of Useful Threads. Click on the part that says TSB's, Recalls etc. and then from the page that comes up scroll dome to the thread about Component Location Views for 2011 - 2015 Explorers. You will see various diagrams. As said, it may not help but have a look.

Peter

I don't know why the link doesn't work. It does for me but I've had others mention that as well. Go to the main page of this "Discussion" forum and then look up in the 'Stickies' section. There you will see List of Useful Threads. Click on the part that says TSB's, Recalls etc. and then from the page that comes up scroll dome to the thread about Component Location Views for 2011 - 2015 Explorers. You will see various diagrams. As said, it may not help but have a look.

Peter
It is strange...I went directly to the link and it still doesn't work, All the other links work in that thread, but that one does not.

I just tried disconnecting the battery in hopes that it could be something that simple. And its not. Still blowing warmer on the driver side.

I just tried disconnecting the battery in hopes that it could be something that simple. And its not. Still blowing warmer on the driver side.
I'm guessing you are referring to the outside most vents. What about the middle vents and floor vents. I've never measured the temperature of the air coming out of those vents. But then, I'm the only occupant.

Peter

Outer vent by the window and inner vent in the middle on the driver side. Both seem to blow at about the same temperature. I can put my hand over the two middle vents and you can feel a definite difference between the passenger and driver sides with the unit running on Max AC. And at lower fan speeds and temps as well.

Floor and rear vents...will have to check those. Give me a few minutes.

Floor vents are very close...within 2 degrees of each other. Panel vents are 9 degrees apart. Back vents are not really blowing cold at all. And are a few degrees apart. (used my meat thermometers)

Link still doesn't work. Tried using MS Edge browser instead of Chrome.

But better news...added a 12oz can of freon...and temps have dropped 15 degrees with a 3 degree delta, so I am going to say that this is fixed...for now.

Link still doesn't work. Tried using MS Edge browser instead of Chrome.

But better news...added a 12oz can of freon...and temps have dropped 15 degrees with a 3 degree delta, so I am going to say that this is fixed...for now.
You may have a slow leak if the refrigerant was low. From what I've read, it is a closed system which means there shouldn't be any loss.

Peter

It’s blend door actuator. Mine went out on 2015 Explorer Limited. In winter, my side heating fine, passenger side freezing.

Welcome to the Forum Ron. :wave:
The issue here isn't that one side is hot and the other side cold. One side just has a slightly lower temperature. You could be right though.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ron. :wave:
The issue here isn't that one side is hot and the other side cold. One side just has a slightly lower temperature. You could be right though.

Peter
Thanks Peter. I do hope he gets it resolved.

Low freon, indeed! We started to see this phenomenon around '12, mostly in dual zone ac cars/trucks. Certainly it has a leak as well. If I recall, Ford issued out a ssm for this concern. Symptom was always "A/C blows colder on passenger side".

Back