• Register Today It's free!

AC Compressor

jack3

Reaction score
City, State
Henderson, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 5- speed 4X4
I'm installing a new AC comp. in my 94 Limited,,, It calls for new PAG oil to be added to the new compressor. HOW MUCH ??? What type ???
The tag on the new comp. says that only enough for assembly purpose was currently in the compressor and that I should refer to manufacture .. No Luck..
I usually put 2-3 oz in the suction side and spin it around a few times. But this tag doesn't give any amounts. My Chiltons and Haynes both say "refer to manufacture reccomended amounts..

HELP!!!!! JACK3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3 oz ought to do it.

I called a shop that sold me a new compressor and they said 7 oz would be the right amount of oil.

Ok, 7 OZ in a compressor ? You'd never get that in and ruin the compressor on startup. THEY are talking SYSTEM capacity. If all you did was remove the compressor... 2-3 oz is all you need.

Since you put the oil in at the low side, I don't see why this is a problem, it is a long way from the compressor, and the dryer takes oil too. I am not an expert, but I called one and that is what he said.

Maybe I was too harsh. I apologize. I am somewhat of an expert on AC. The TOTAL system charge on a 94 134(a) AC system is 7 oz. All you need in a compressor only replacement (I'd replace the accumulator too if it was me) is 2-3 oz. The compressor is a reed compressor, and even low side additions can find their way to the high side.. plys you will NEVER get 7 OZ in it.... {it will be FULL of oil.}

Your source either misunderstood.... or misread their data. DO NOT ADD 7 OZ of OIL TO A COMPRESSOR! (and if you try, let us know mow many OZ you could get in).

No offense meant Gar. I know you were just reporting. If you are into AC check out the Useful threads ...there is a long post on AC there with lots of good links and info... great intro to auto AC. Thanks for weighing in !

Chris

ps. in a compressor replacement you add the compressor quantity of oil DIRECTLY into the compressor. Sure it will migrate but you START there.

Not to mention due to the fact it was a compressor failure it probably a very good Idea to replace the oriface tube and flush the system

thinking back..... did the compressor you bought have oil in it (they often do)? Empty it by turning it 6 or 7 revolutions with a port down... catch the oil that comes out, if any. Add whatever amount came out back.... if was less than 3 oz, add 3 oz. If more, add whatever came out. Some ship with oil, some without. I "assumed" you had a dry compressor.

Do you have the old one or did you core it? See how much oil was in IT if you have it. If you are worried about oil... 4 oz is acceptable in my book... I get charry about going higher than that... I'd be tempted to add anything ober 3 into the accumulator, and limit my add to 5 total.

Back