AC freon leak behind the dashboard. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC freon leak behind the dashboard.

markeetn

Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My mechanic has told me I have a freon leak behind the dash. I have trusted this mechanic for years and don't thing he is out to screw me but you never know. He's estimating up to 5 hours of labor to remove the dash, fix the leak and put the dash back together. Freon will typically last 3-4 weeks during the peak summer months. I hate to spend 100's of dollars repairing a leak (if it is found) on my '97 Explorer (which I hope to upgrade to an '08 next year). Has anyone else heard of a leak behind the dash? I haven't tested for leaks under the hood myself; my mechanic said he found none; yet he also replace the receiver dryer and that obviously wasn't the problem. I need AC....please help.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread to the A/C & heater section. It sounds like your evaporator is leaking. Do you know if he actually checked this area with a fluorescent dye, and an ultraviolet light?

My husband's Explorer has the same problem, but his mechanic will not go into the dash to fix it. Did your AC get fixed?

You don't go into the dash to fix the evaporator core. It is in the odd shaped box on the RH side of the firewall. Find an AC mechanic that knows this without you having to tell him where the air conditioning (AC) evaporator is.

Back