• Register Today It's free!

AC not cold

98nhexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
My '98 Explorer XLT's AC is not blowing cold air this year. Compressor was cycling every ten seconds or so. Put two of the small AA bottles in to charge it up. Seemed better for a few days but gradually returned to blowing warmer air. Got some dye and another small bottle from AZ and charged once again.
Blowing cooler air but not really cold. No leaks either. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked blend door? Have you checked the pressure at the low end? There are too many possibilities here.

Ambient temp. is 79 degrees
Pressure (cold engine) is 15-45lbs.
Compressor is cycling on every 6-secs for 1-sec.
With engine warmed up, pressure is 18-80lbs.
Compressor is cycling on every 10-secs for 3-secs.

Still no signs of a leak yet still no cold air.
Piping also not cold.
Blend door appears to be functioning normally.

To recharge an A/C system, you must properly vacuum it first and then fill it up with refrigerant.
You may have put too much in.

I am the original owner. . . .

My system was cycling often too, so . . .

I just had my 1998 AC serviced for the first time. The shop highly recommended replacing the original steel accumulator with an aluminum one. The shop said that the steel accumulator is susceptible to rust and eventual failure (leaks). I dunno if that is true.

Anyway, they replaced the accumulator along with some other part that they said traps impurities, and filled the system.

Now my compressor cycles only when needed, (less often) and my AC blows cold as can be.

Cost: $340.26

Just got both my Explorer and VW's A/C working. VW a/c would do the same as your Explorer. On and off with the compressor. It had too much in it and they drained it all out and put in 1.5 Pounds which it holds. A/C works good now.

Update:
So...I had my local shop check this out while they were doing the state inspection.
Gave him the same symptoms as above. He said that it could be overfilled.
Tech then vacuums out.35lbs of refrigerant! I had put in at least two, 12oz. bottles.
Then a third a couple of weeks later with 1/4oz. of dye.
Tech charged up the system with 1.8lbs of refrigerant. AC blowing ice cold now...
So now my question becomes-where did 2.25lbs of refrigerant go?
Still no signs of a leak...

Update:
So...I had my local shop check this out while they were doing the state inspection.
Gave him the same symptoms as above. He said that it could be overfilled.
Tech then vacuums out.35lbs of refrigerant! I had put in at least two, 12oz. bottles.
Then a third a couple of weeks later with 1/4oz. of dye.
Tech charged up the system with 1.8lbs of refrigerant. AC blowing ice cold now...
So now my question becomes-where did 2.25lbs of refrigerant go?
Still no signs of a leak...

You sure it wasn't 35 Oz he pulled out? That would mean you were over filled. The extra the shop gets to keep because it went into his tank. If your right and it was only .35 lbs or 5.5 oz roughly then you have a leak. And they would be required to fix it.

When I took in my VW I had put in 2 bottles or 32 oz. They pulled out 32 oz and put back in 24 oz.

Back