• Register Today It's free!

AC Orfice tube color??

asp84

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 V8 AWD Mounty
I am going to be replacing my air conditioning accumulator (reciever/dryer) and while I'm in there, I am going to replace my orfice tube. The problem is, when I went to AutoZone to pick-up a new orfice tube, they gave me one that was a different color than my stock orfice tube. When I questioned them, they told me that "the computer says this is the right one for your vehicle."

My original 1994 R-134A orfice tube is White and Blue.
The one Autozone gave me is White/Brown .

Should I just use the one they gave me??

Thanks in Advance!
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Out of curiosity, is the size listed on the package? The color codes have to do with the size of the passage in the tube.

The box my orfice tube came in only has the part # Facotry Air (G2) 38635

Check this one out... FACTORY_AIR 38902 from what I've read on these things they are supposed to improve cooling at idle and low engine speeds by as much at 5 - 10 degrees. The size of the orifice changes depending on engine speed and system pressure to maximize cooling performance. Who knows? But I do know that with the stock fixed orifice tube my AC sucks at idle.

yah, I saw the variable orifice tube on the computer. I am wondering since I live in Phoenix Arizona that the orifice tube they gave me is better for increasing pressure?

anyboody else want to take a stab at this?
thanks

autozone isn't smart enough to give you a different part based on where you live, so cross out that idea. heck according to their "computer" my explorer doesn't have an idle air control valve. psssh

Back