Acceleration Problem and Ticking Sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Acceleration Problem and Ticking Sound

jeff.dunham

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' XLT 4.6 v8
2002 Ford Explorer
4.6 V8 w/ 73,000 miles

I have a problem with acceleration. When I accelerate (not under any load) I sometimes get a hesitation. It feels like a "bogging" down of the engine or a "misfire". When accelerating the vehicle will stay at a certain rpm for a second and then take off again. Also, when cruising down a highway it will began to jerk and seem to miss, even on cruise control. I have had it into a garage and they did some work to it. They did the following:
-replaced spark plugs, wires
-replaced one coil
-replaced coil plug wire boots
-replaced fuel filter
-replaced air filter
-cleaned Mass Airflow Sensor
-fuel pressure test (5lb over specs)
-*no fault codes were found*

The mechanic indicated that the vehicle was missing on mulitple cylinders but could not pinpoint the exact problem. The next step was to replace all eight coils which I told them no because it was just an expensive shot in the dark. The engine has died during cold idle a couple of times.

Also, I have a ticking noise between 1200-2500 rpms. I belive that it is a valve noise. Any help would be much appriciated.
Thanks,
Jeff Dunham

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mines doing the same thing,Ive spent alot ontrying to fix it and still nothing so if you find out how to fix the problem let me know,m_webb81@yahoo.com

yea ive got that clicking sound also, i first thought it was just trash or something in the fan but no go, i cant figure out what the hell it it....

Valves knocking? I don't know just a guess...

mine ticks under any acceleration as well. im starting to wonder if its the timing chain. i dont seem to have any powerloss though

Today I was out on the highway for the first time in a while, and started to get some hesitation only at 60+ mph. First time I ever expericenced it. I had just come out of an automatic car wash and wasn't sure if something had gotten wet. Now reading this post I am begining to wonder.

I will have to try and hook a computer up to it to get the codes on it. If I find anything out I will post it.

no one has any more ideas?

I had the same problem with my 02 v6. As much as you might not think thisis your problem, hear me out... the problem is not in your engine or transmission. If it's the same problem I was having, have someone look at your rear hub bearing assembly. Mine was bad, and that was causing the tranfer case to want to engage/disengage constantly. It hesitated(almost like a misfire) constantly at lower speeds and acceleration. Sometimes it was quite violent. The way I figured it out was to shift into 4Hi... the problem lessened with the truck in 4x4.

the ticking noise is the plastic timing chain tensioners.
noise is most noticeable [on mine] about 1800-2300 rpm. this was also a problem with the 98-00 ex's [V-6] and was fixed under warranty. there is still an old service bulletin on the 98-01's. it is the same engine, [tell the service writer this] so if you have a good relationship with your stealer and/or an extended warranty you may be able to get the upper ones done. the lower ones take about 6-8 hours labor to replace and they really have to like you to fix these.

The post by Ito-23 sounds like the same thing that mine is doing. I havent tried testing the 4HI to see if it lessens the effect, but I am putting it into service on Monday under this assumption. I have printed out Ito-23 reply and will submit that to the mechanic and have him look at that part first.

Red

The post by Ito-23 sounds like the same thing that mine is doing. I havent tried testing the 4HI to see if it lessens the effect, but I am putting it into service on Monday under this assumption. I have printed out Ito-23 reply and will submit that to the mechanic and have him look at that part first.

Red

please let us know what you find out.

But I have read in other posts on this site, that more than likely thats the problem. One guy had a problem with his 4x4 modulator. The other had a problem with his rear hub. Just search the forum, like I did, and you should find it. But yes, will post what I find out as well.

Red

Here is the forum topic that I found the info in. Ed in IL posted it in here awhile back. Check it out to see if its the same problem that most others are experiencing.

"02 4x4 V8 Eddie Bauer Jerking in Drivetrain"

Search for that forum heading and the info is there. Hope this helps. This is what I am going off of to get mine fixed.

Well took mine into the shop on Monday and they told me because I had two different tires on the front compared to the back, the computer was taking it as a slip and was engaging/disengaging my transfer case. Was also noticing that when I did shift into 4HI, that the jerking would stop. But when I came to a stop, it wouldnt stop smoothly. Today (Nov. 12), I put new tires on it, all the same type, no jerking, and stopped smoothly in 4HI. Looks like two pairs of different tires can really mess the computer up. Thanks for all the help.

I have the same problem with my 1996 ext, but it is a 2wd. I thought perhaps it was water in the gas as the plugs were relatively new. It seems to do it much less when I have a full tank of gas. Once it gets down gbelow hald a tank, it really gets jerky.

Back