• Register Today It's free!

Accelerator Fell Off

2006_MM_FYRE_41

Reaction score
City, State
South Elgin, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mountainer Premier
My father-in-law purchased my 1996 Explorer from me 3 years ago now. It has a 5.0 and AWD. Today he was driving it and the accelerator pedal literally fell off from being attached to the floor board. Has anyone experienced this in the past? After speaking to him he said that when he inspected it it looked as though it was only attached with one bolt/rivet, he was not sure which it is, although there are three holes to secure it. He also could not find any bolts or rivets. Please advise how the pedal is attached and if this has happedend to anyone here on the board. Thanks, Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........yes, indeed.....I had this happened and did this fix just as stated from "shamaal's link" for showing ! ! ! wierd'st thing was i had to drive it home ( like 15 miles away ) by use of attaching a string/rope to the accelerator and pulled for gas / forward motion . . . . :confused: .........:crazy: ........LOL LOL

mr. Charles

IT sounds to me like the pivot bolt fell out. Only one bolt holds it to the bracket that's mounted to the firewall. If that's the case, I have a spare you can have. It may have fallen behind the carpet or floor liner. Peel it back slightly and feel around.

Back