Active Park Assist 2.0 - Your Experience? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Active Park Assist 2.0 - Your Experience?

ParkM

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve 1
I have an Aviator coming (I'm told) later this month and one of gadgets I'm most interested in trying is the updated Park Assist function. For those that have tried it, I'm curious how you like it. Can you rely on it? Are there situations you don't feel comfortable using it in? Have you had any bad outcomes?

Trying to get ready for my tech journey! Thanks, park

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well.....so far, when I attempted to use it, it didn't work. I just attribute it to user error, but I'm usually not all that tech illiterate.

I tried the Park Assist in the parking lot on our 2020 ST. It worked surprisingly well.

Have not had the nerve to try it yet? It must be a control thing... :thumbsup:

i've used it a few times for parallel parking and like it... not when there is heavy nyc traffic next to me.... but on quiet streets i like it. the perpendicular parking i tried 3 times... and felt it missed the space and got to close to other cars so i took over.

Wanted it to back into a parking space (perpendicular park) since I'm not good at that. I thought it would use the parking lines but apparently it won't work unless you are sandwiched between two cars. ie. it won't do it if there's, say, one car on one side with two empty on the other and you want it to park in one of them.

Anyone try it with angle parking?

Peter

i've used it a few times for parallel parking and like it... not when there is heavy nyc traffic next to me.... but on quiet streets i like it. the perpendicular parking i tried 3 times... and felt it missed the space and got to close to other cars so i took over.
I've had this same issue with perpendicular in my 5th gen - sad to hear it maybe hasn't been improved, but at least I'm not crazy. Does anyone get it to work even half the time?

After a week of ownership, I went to the dealership for some paperwork and my sales lady convinced me to hit the parking lot and try it. Being surrounded by hundred of thousands of dollars of vehicles was not nerve wracking enough, putting my un-dying faith in my vehicle put my blood pressure sky high!!! We tried all three modes multiple times, spent over a hour parking and letting the car pull itself out of the spot. I will admit I was convinced. Every time it worked flawlessly!!! The vehicle centered itself evenly in the space, and left plenty of room to open the tail gate. I must admit I am convinced the system worked.
Jeff

After a week of ownership, I went to the dealership for some paperwork and my sales lady convinced me to hit the parking lot and try it. Being surrounded by hundred of thousands of dollars of vehicles was not nerve wracking enough, putting my un-dying faith in my vehicle put my blood pressure sky high!!! We tried all three modes multiple times, spent over a hour parking and letting the car pull itself out of the spot. I will admit I was convinced. Every time it worked flawlessly!!! The vehicle centered itself evenly in the space, and left plenty of room to open the tail gate. I must admit I am convinced the system worked.
Jeff
That’s so great to hear Jeff. As soon as my Aviator arrives I’m driving it cross country so you can give me parking lessons in how to use it! I’ve been in the car while the sales folks demoed the feature but never tried on my own. Good luck and as you use it in more situations I for one would enjoy ur reports on how it is working. Tnx.
/park

Jeff
Did any of those trials involve angle parking?

Peter

Jeff

Thanks for the post, this encouraging to hear. I tried mine a few days ago, in a fairly empty parking lot, the perpendicular parking mode was not accurate at all. It parked in between two spaces. I will have to try it in an occupied lot and see if the results differ.

Thanks for the post, this encouraging to hear. I tried mine a few days ago, in a fairly empty parking lot, the perpendicular parking mode was not accurate at all. It parked in between two spaces. I will have to try it in an occupied lot and see if the results differ.
The vehicle uses ultrasonic sensors when parking. Therefore if there is only a vehicle on one side, the sensors on the other side have nothing there to gauge the distance.

Peter

Did any of those trials involve angle parking?

Peter
Peter, of all the parking possibilities, this would seem to be the least challenging and least need the park assist. Just my opinion. As you probably know the manual doesn’t mention it.

I’ve been hesitant to try it because I couldn’t be sure I was following the correct steps and would hold up traffic, plus I think I’m pretty good at parallel parking. But last weekend I decided to try it on a quiet residential street. The space was tight and I was tempted to pass it up but gave it a shot. Also spaces were not marked with any striping on that block. In short, it did great. Almost moved too quickly for my taste and I actually tapped the brake a few times; display said “park assist paused”. Released brake and pressed button and assist continued. Pulled itself back and forth a few times and was perfectly centered when done. Very impressed.

Back