Adaptive Cruise Control/Collision Avoidance | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adaptive Cruise Control/Collision Avoidance

PS: I just happened to think about that “full stop” again. Let’s add it to the REAR warning system too, (just like that Infinity you see in the TV ads all the time). All the mechanical / electrical / transponder hardware is already present, no? Providing you have the 302A package of course. I still think a softwear update could do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, but I've got to say this. While the adaptive cruise control is a nice feature, it's fallen behind competitors rather quickly. Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, Infiniti all have systems that work all the way down to a full stop as well as get involved in emergency braking. Really, drive a few other manufacturers if you can just to do a comparison.

Still, it's sufficient under most circumstances, but I do find that the disengagement is unnerving especially the first few times using the system. Hopefully, Ford is working to improve this system.

All the models you mentioned are luxury, higher end cars.
Not to say a Limited Explorer is cheap, but the thing I like best about my Explorer is that is American made.

I have been driving foreign cars for 27 yrs mainly due to their price and quality.

I am very happy and proud that American Car Makers are back to making quality vehicles and am willing to give them a chance.

I truly am proud to be driving an American Car again.

The ACC is not perfect, but I think it is a great option and worth it.
I am also sure Ford and other American Car Makers will improve the feature on future models.

Also the ACC is a driver aid, it does not allow drivers to become less attentive and prepared to make any emergency maneuvers to avoid a collision.

Okay - I've had the Explorer Sport for a few months now, and other than the huge amount of torque steer, love it. I've also had a chance to use the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), and my wife says the collision avoidance feature works ;) - I have also had a chance to think about the folks who posted that their explorer slammed on the brakes to avoid a collision.

While using ACC, when you depress the accelerator, the indicator on the dash board goes grey, meaning it's armed, but not active. Makes sense for when you want to accelerate, such as passing. When you release the throttle, bing, the cruise rearms and slows to the set speed. If you do this and come up behind a vehicle going very slow, the ACC will, if needed, aggressively apply the brakes to slow you down to match their speed. (Down to the cut off point, 40KPH ish I seem to recall).

Here is what I think happened, keep in mind, I have not really tested this. If you had the ACC on, and accelerated to get onto the freeway, the ACC would turn off while you had your foot on the gas. So in theory, you could accelerate hard towards to the back of a semi for example, while merging into traffic. The moment you lift your foot off the gas, bingo, the ACC detects you are approaching the semi wayyy too fast and would then 'slam' on the brakes in an attempt to match its speed. So, not the collision avoidence system kicking in and hitting the brakes, because it can't do that, but rather the ACC 'kind of' acting like a collision avoidance system. I dunno, maybe the CA system would also flash it's lights at the same time if you were going really fast towards the semi? If that were the case I can see how you'd think the CA system hit the brakes, but in reality it would have been the ACC.

Wondering if anybody has had any experiences that may match this? I don't think I'd try this myself as it's a dangerous thing to try and do, but wondering if it's happened to anyone just by chance?

Has anyone verified if the brake lights actually come on when the ACC decelerates hard?

Can't live without ACC

I had a 2011 Explorer with ACC and said I'd never live without it again. Went to a 2013 Edge. Thought I needed a slightly smaller vehicle. It also had ACC. I have now the need for a handicap scooter, which stores in 5 pieces so I decided to go back to a 2014 Explorer Limited. The dealership said the vehicle had ACC, and I didn't test drive it since I've had Explorers in the past. I drove it home at night, then drove it the next evening. I set the cruise, briefly thinking it was slightly different on the 2014. All of a sudden I'm coming up on another vehicle and not slowing down. I immediately called the dealership and told them this is the wrong vehicle. No ACC. They asked what would it take for me to keep this one without the ACC. I told them, NO WAY. The next day they located exactly what I wanted, changed all my paperwork and off I went in my new Sterling Gray 2014 loaded Explorer Limited. Now I'm happy. I'll never have another vehicle without ACC. Once you have it, you fall in love with the feature!

I had a 2011 Explorer with ACC and said I'd never live without it again. Went to a 2013 Edge. Thought I needed a slightly smaller vehicle. It also had ACC. I have now the need for a handicap scooter, which stores in 5 pieces so I decided to go back to a 2014 Explorer Limited. The dealership said the vehicle had ACC, and I didn't test drive it since I've had Explorers in the past. I drove it home at night, then drove it the next evening. I set the cruise, briefly thinking it was slightly different on the 2014. All of a sudden I'm coming up on another vehicle and not slowing down. I immediately called the dealership and told them this is the wrong vehicle. No ACC. They asked what would it take for me to keep this one without the ACC. I told them, NO WAY. The next day they located exactly what I wanted, changed all my paperwork and off I went in my new Sterling Gray 2014 loaded Explorer Limited. Now I'm happy. I'll never have another vehicle without ACC. Once you have it, you fall in love with the feature!

Makes you wonder if the salesman knew it didn't have ACC in the first place thinking you might stick with that vehicle anyways or if it was an honest mistake.

Glad it worked out for you.

Buzz

It would be awesome if the ACC was integrated with the Nav so that you could set it to maintain the speed limit (or 5mph over). The ACC works great on the highway, but when I'm on smaller state roads and going through town after town, it would be nice if the ACC slowed down on its own when the speed limit drops instead of constantly having to adjust the setpoint up and down.

For the record, I've never seen a car that can do this.....but it sure would be a nice feature.

It would be awesome if the ACC was integrated with the Nav so that you could set it to maintain the speed limit (or 5mph over). The ACC works great on the highway, but when I'm on smaller state roads and going through town after town, it would be nice if the ACC slowed down on its own when the speed limit drops instead of constantly having to adjust the setpoint up and down.

For the record, I've never seen a car that can do this.....but it sure would be a nice feature.

seriously??? Maybe it could also make the left and right turns for you and know when to stop or go at a traffic light....holy lazy Batman........

seriously??? Maybe it could also make the left and right turns for you and know when to stop or go at a traffic light....holy lazy Batman........

That is where cars are going.

GM already has several tests vehicles on the road.

I saw a report on ABC in a Caddy where the car took the reporter and cameraman to the airport on highways and surface streets with no aid.

Nissan says they will have a self driving vehicle on the road in the next 3 years I believe.

As EGUY mentioned, that is where it is heading. Google has already been testing it's auto mated vehicle and been pushing laws to be changed to make it street legal.

The hi-end makers' version of ACC already bring the vehicle to a complete stop and resume when traffic moves.

The convergence of ACC, GPS, Lane Departure, Blind Spot and other automation is a driverless car.

As EGUY mentioned, that is where it is heading. Google has already been testing it's auto mated vehicle and been pushing laws to be changed to make it street legal.

The hi-end makers' version of ACC already bring the vehicle to a complete stop and resume when traffic moves.

The convergence of ACC, GPS, Lane Departure, Blind Spot and other automation is a driverless car.

Yes...we all know that...but that day is a long way off....the auto makers are also not ready to accept all of the liability at this point. Just like they won't accept responsibility for any incident that are caused when using BLISS, rear cameras or park assist.......we are quite a few years away from driverless cars due to that simple reason......for now, we'll all have to just pay attention to the road and pay attention and make our own decisions............

Back