Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adaptive Cruise Control Sensor Replacement

John8675309

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Been getting Collision Warning/Adaptive Cruise Control Malfunction (Yellow Warning Box on left side of dash - Push OK to Clear), and I can't set ACC nor do I get the BEEP-BEEP-BEEP when I'm about to run a kid over in the crosswalk.

Ford Dealer quoted $1600+ to fix due to a locked-in fault code requiring sensor replacement.

Sensor Part Number is: BA1Z9E731C * with MSRP of $1185.
*Fixed a typo in the part number.(EDIT)

I've seen the part out there online for ~$750-850, even from a ford dealer (Lakeland Ford in Florida). The dealier I took it to quoted remove/install front bumper to get at the part, despite the fact that I can see the unit and the screws holding it in from underneath. A local car shop quoted even higher due to part price.

Main Questions:
-Can I buy the part, install myself, and then take anywhere for calibration?
-Should I just trade in the vehicle? The repair is about 10% of the value of trade-in. (2011 Limited with 66k)
-Is there any other way to get this fixed for cheaper?

Misc. Notes and questions:
-I can turn off ACC in the settings, but each time I restart the car, I have to turn off the setting again. Is there a way to make the Cruise Control selection permanent?

-Same with the Collision Warning. I know it doesn't work, can I just turn off the error warnings that are kind of annoying?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that in forscan you can permanently disable adaptive cruise.

Do you happen to know what the actual error code number is? Should be on your paperwork.

BTW book times for sensor replacement is only 1 hour. I don't know if that includes the calibration or not. (I also think forscan can calibrate the sensor).

Welcome to the Forum John.:wave:
There is no way, other than possibly with Forscan, that you can turn these features OFF permanently. The 'Default' settings are ON.
The part number you provided could not be found on the site I searched. It does show BA1Z-9E731-C for $717.30.

Peter

Tasca parts has it for $700 and I got the same part number as you peter.

Thanks for the advice gents, and for the welcome to the forum.

I updated the original post with the correct part number, sorry for the typo.

They quoted me $150 for a reprogram of the sensor before I brought it in. I can likely order the part through your sources for just over $700, install myself, and bring to them for the calibration.

However, I see the risk being that I could be out $850 in parts and reprogramming with a possibility it doesn't work. I'd like to think that for the $1600 they are quoting, it would be all fixed without any risk.

Now I'm looking at 2017 and 2018 Explorers... seems like there's not that big of an incentive for the '17's though ($1000 off + 0% for 60 months), as compared to the '18s ($750 off and 2.9% for 60 months).

I'll let you know which way I go, but if anyone has experience fixing this fault for cheaper than $1600, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for the advice gents, and for the welcome to the forum.

I updated the original post with the correct part number, sorry for the typo.

They quoted me $150 for a reprogram of the sensor before I brought it in. I can likely order the part through your sources for just over $700, install myself, and bring to them for the calibration.

However, I see the risk being that I could be out $850 in parts and reprogramming with a possibility it doesn't work. I'd like to think that for the $1600 they are quoting, it would be all fixed without any risk.

Now I'm looking at 2017 and 2018 Explorers... seems like there's not that big of an incentive for the '17's though ($1000 off + 0% for 60 months), as compared to the '18s ($750 off and 2.9% for 60 months).

I'll let you know which way I go, but if anyone has experience fixing this fault for cheaper than $1600, I'd love to hear it.

Got to know what the fault code is first.

From others experience with shops if you agree to the work and it doesn’t fix the problem you are still on the hook for the additional cost of fixing the problem, plus what the original work.

$150 calibration is crap and charging to remove the bumper is crap too. Ford service manual just says “bumper is removed for clarity” saying the diagram shown in the manual doesn’t have he bumper in the picture.

Bumper removal is right in the service manual section for replacing the CCM. As far as $150 for the calibration...likely a dealer that bills a minimum of 1 hr labor no matter what they do. I also checked and the bumper cover has to be removed for alignment of the CCM too.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world will never know.

What was the actual error code on the CCM sensor? The Explorer-Forum world will similarly never know.

Decided to grab a '17 Explorer Limited, picking up tomorrow. Negotiated away the repair bills for the alignment job/diagnostics, and got a decent dollar on trade-in despite all of the work they wanted me get done.

PS: Does anyone else find it funny/odd that the service desk guy called my car an "Exploder" in front of me?

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop? The world will never know.

What was the actual error code on the CCM sensor? The Explorer-Forum world will similarly never know.

Decided to grab a '17 Explorer Limited, picking up tomorrow. Negotiated away the repair bills for the alignment job/diagnostics, and got a decent dollar on trade-in despite all of the work they wanted me get done.

PS: Does anyone else find it funny/odd that the service desk guy called my car an "Exploder" in front of me?

Can you find out the code when you go to the dealer tomorrow please?

Congrats on the new toy.

I have the same issue. My error code is B142E:78. I have forscan for my 2017 f-F150 but not for my 2018 Explorer. If I had a 2018 Explorer spreadsheet I might be able to disable Adaptive Cruise??

I have the same issue. My error code is B142E:78. I have forscan for my 2017 f-F150 but not for my 2018 Explorer. If I had a 2018 Explorer spreadsheet I might be able to disable Adaptive Cruise??
Why not just turn it OFF in the settings. If I understand your other posts on this issue, you only get a warning when you attempt to set a speed. So, if you don't attempt to set a designated speed, you won't get the error message so I don't see a need to disable Adaptive Cruise using FORScan.
If you really like to use the feature, like I do, have the sensor alignment done.
According to this for the F-150 all it requires is a software update to the Cruise Control Module. I'm guessing it may be the same for the Explorer.

Peter

Why not just turn it OFF in the settings. If I understand your other posts on this issue, you only get a warning when you attempt to set a speed. So, if you don't attempt to set a designated speed, you won't get the error message so I don't see a need to disable Adaptive Cruise using FORScan.
If you really like to use the feature, like I do, have the sensor alignment done.
According to this for the F-150 all it requires is a software update to the Cruise Control Module. I'm guessing it may be the same for the Explorer.

Peter
Hi Peter, I have tried repeatedly to turn it off but no luck. I need to figure how to go into the ACC with Forscan and disable it but no one seems to have a spreadsheet with all the module numbers and codes to access the ACC to allow me to disable it. The issue being my right front bumper was hit knocking the radar for adaptive speed control out of alignment . Can't get it into the dealership as the earliest available appointment isn'tuntil early December .

Back