• Register Today It's free!

Add 3rd Row Seat to a 3rd Gen

superfox121

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I just bought an 02 XLS without a 3rd row seat. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to install a factory 3rd row seat in this vehicle, or if it has to come with the seat?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

-Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know if it would be worth it. The third seat seemed awful small to me. It'd be good for car seats etc, but I don't know if it would be worth the storage loss.

the 3rd seat fits 2 adults very nice and has quite a bit of room ... at least my 3rd seat does..

I'm glad you think so. :thumbsup:

I still think it was small. Damn nice Cargo Room thou without it.

and they all fold down perfectly flat...

Does that mean that all I need to do is find a third row seat and I can install it without modification?

i actua;;y believe the spot where it goes is somewhat different cause it took me extra long to find my 2002 cause i wanted the 3rd seat..

I wish i could help you.
maybe call a dealer.

I have not seen an ex without the third row, but I would imagine it to be very difficult ot install a stock third row...reason: where do th riders put their feet? In the stock third row, the bottom of the truck is pulled farther back to allow the riders to put their feet in a dropped section so they are not in their chest. If you could pick up a raised row that would fit the width it might work but then you would have their heads hitting the ceiling. But again this is coming freom someone that hasnot seen an ex without the third row, so I dont know if the floor raises up right after the second row.

when i was looking for my 2002, I seen a few without the 3rd seat...

I'm sorry, what I meant was I personally have not seen one without the third row. When I went shopping I was only looking for the third row so I did not even look at the others. There diffenetly are a lot without the third row, it took me a while to find mine with the third row.

Shouldn't be a problem. With the proper parts, it should work. Trucks are the same, 3rd row no 3rd row. The seat fits where the storage compartment is, feet go under the 2nd row seat. Maybe a lot more parts $$$ then it would be worth, unless you find a junkyard etc. My friend has a 04 without 3rd row, Sheet metal has the same dimensions.
My guess on replacment parts, 2n Row Seats and Brackets, L/R tirm panels in rear, 3rd Row Seats and Brakets, Carpet, . . . . .

I am in a similar situation and would like to know if the 3rd row from an XLT can be installed into an XLS. Anyone try this?

I don't think this is really possible. First of all, with the factory 3rd row, the second row seats tip forward so that riders can get to the 3rd row. Without this, you would have to climb over the second row to even get to the 3rd row. Next, the floor is totally different. There is a recessed section behind the second row seat for 3rd row riders feet. Personally, I agree the 3rd row is really camped and so far I have not even had to use it. I keep it folded flat most of the time and store some stuff in the empty space where its footwell is. Even when it is folded, it is not as flat and low as an explorer that doesn't have it. I would advise you to scope out an explorer that has the 3rd row so you can compare and decide if you think it is a feasible project.

Jason

JasonF said:
I don't think this is really possible. First of all, with the factory 3rd row, the second row seats tip forward so that riders can get to the 3rd row. Without this, you would have to climb over the second row to even get to the 3rd row. Next, the floor is totally different. There is a recessed section behind the second row seat for 3rd row riders feet. Personally, I agree the 3rd row is really camped and so far I have not even had to use it. I keep it folded flat most of the time and store some stuff in the empty space where its footwell is. Even when it is folded, it is not as flat and low as an explorer that doesn't have it. I would advise you to scope out an explorer that has the 3rd row so you can compare and decide if you think it is a feasible project.

Jason

in my 98 without 3rd row, the seats tip forward 60/40 anyway, just like one with the seats, but i dont see where the feet would go, there is only inches of space between the seat and the floor...

If you install the 3rd row seat, don't forget to change the side panels with the ones with the built in cup holders! :D

any luck?

Superfox and XLS_dan - Did either of your end of doing this? Or anyone else? I am interested in this also and don't really want one of the "little passengers" third row things...

If you are near San Diego - you are welcome to come by and see the third row seat installed. I have had a 94 XLT without 3 seats and this one (2005 XLT) with the third seat and it does look a lot different. There is a lower floor area for the feet of the passengers in the third row.
Also - in my truck, the third seat is large enough to seat 2 adults or 3 children very confortably. It is NOT cramped for space at all. It does take up half the cargo area but fortunately it does fold down flat. I wouldn't want to be riding in the back seat and be in a rear-end collision...

Dennis

jrford said:
Shouldn't be a problem. With the proper parts, it should work. Trucks are the same, 3rd row no 3rd row. The seat fits where the storage compartment is, feet go under the 2nd row seat. Maybe a lot more parts $$$ then it would be worth, unless you find a junkyard etc. My friend has a 04 without 3rd row, Sheet metal has the same dimensions.
My guess on replacment parts, 2n Row Seats and Brackets, L/R tirm panels in rear, 3rd Row Seats and Brakets, Carpet, . . . . .

Pass some of that good smoke around the room.....lol
I have to agree with the post about feet space. I have a '02 with 2 row seating and adding a third would mean modifications and there is NO room for feet. The floor back in the cargo area is flat up to the second row seatbacks. no space or drop. The third row would be higher and your passengers would all be complaining of sore necks from hunching over or suing you over bumping their heads on roof. not to mention it would look very odd. if it didn't come equipped as a 3 row seating, you're out of luck unless you spend alot in changing design...might as well sell it and go look for one. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

seen the added third row done

I have seen it done on another site and its is a LARGE amount of work, trust me.

Back