• Register Today It's free!

add a leaf or shackels?

nputnam

Reaction score
City, State
Ellsworth Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Im kinda new to this thing so bare with me. I want to put on 31 inch tires and want a littl emore clearence between the wheel wells. Its a 95 xplorer. What exactly is a shackle? Would that be better then add a leaf. I am only looking for like 2 inches? I am going to twist the torson bars in the front so i am just wondering about that back?
any ideas?
please help

A shackle just replaces the stock leaf hanger (the one at the rear)...it lifts the truck by being longer. Your best bet is to get the warrior shackles (WAR 153), which i think you can get at www.desertrat.com. Add a leafs, or AAL's are an an extra leaf that you put in your spring pack to increase the arch, thus giving you lift. Add a leafs tend to stiffen up your ride abit (i have them and I like a stiffer ride), but can settle abit after awhile. Shackles won't settle of course and they keep a stock like ride, but they hang down and can get caught on obsticals.

Good luck, hope that helps alittle
CP

btw...welcome to the site! :D

I have the WAR 353's which also work with Explorers. The only difference is what they are coated with. 153s have a dark grey powdercoat and my 353's have a zinc coating, which they look kind of goldish. I got mine at rubicon4x4.com for $49.95 plus shipping, so it was $59.90 all included.

Well I figured if one was good then both would be better.

I installed shackles and AAL. I'm happy with it

Back