• Register Today It's free!

Shackles Or Add A Leaf???

extrmndor3

Reaction score
City, State
CHICago
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 FORD EXPLORER
I Want To Lift My Truck Maybe 2-3 Inches Max..

I Put Front New Shocks Absorbers Since The Stock Ones Did Not Work At All. So Imputtin New Shocks On The Back But Since I Wanna Lift The Truck Alil So I Could Put I Dont Know Cani Put 24 Inchw Heels On A Lifted Explorer???

I Could Do 2.5 Inches With The Torsion Bars Twist And The 2.5 Inches From The Shckles Or Umma Dd A Leaf.

But What Is Easier Shackles Or Add A Leaf???

And Add A Leaf How Do You Install It???

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

an add a leaf will give you 1.5-2inches of lift max new shackels (warrior153) will give you about the same... if ur goin for 2.5inches id say just do both, but if you wanna stay cheap do the add a leafs first amd if you wanna go higher later then do shackels

you will get way more flex and proformance out of shackles add a leaf will just make your ride way more rough.

Cani Put 24 Inchw Heels On A Lifted Explorer???

You can do anything you want to do with time, money and know-how. whether it will look good is another story.

But What Is Easier Shackles Or Add A Leaf???
shackles are easier

And Add A Leaf How Do You Install It??
remove wheels/tires, remove u-bolts, lift axle off of springs, clamp springpacks, remove center pin, loosen clamps on springpacks, remove and/or add whatever leafs you need to add or remove from pack and reverse procedure to put the truck back together.

what should i do

my 98 xlt is lower in the rear then the front...like lower then it should be probably by like 2 inches maybe 2 1/2. should i just get shackles, add-a-leaf, or new leaves (can get for 317$ pair)??

if you have a 2 door, get 4 door springs. if you have a 4 door then get add-a-leafs. you might need the add-a-leafs with the 4 door springs on a 2 door too.

add-a-leafs from where..on summit i cant find for our truck...id be better off with these instead of shackles? or should i get shackles and only like 1 in. adds...please explain your reasoning. also do you think this will last longer then if i just put new leaves in..or if new ones would even help. btw im putting in new kyb gas-a-just shocks later in the week. they will only dampen tho correct?

shocks will not raise your vehicle.

schackles are easier to install, but then you have huge extended shackles showing. if you want a cleaner look, go with the aal kit that replaces 2 springs in the pack. I believe it is good for 2 inches, but it will stiffen your ride.

shackles are easier since they are essentially 2 bolts per side and some fidgeting with a jack to get them in. but they dont look as clean but they maintain a factory-like ride and i've heard they add a little flexibility to your springs.

4 door spings will give your 2 door some lift, but not alot. I did the swap on my mothers explorer sport and it definitely helped the rear sag, but she could still use some add-a-leafs to really level it out.

to my knowledge there are 2 different add-a-leafs
1.) adds a spring to the bottom of the pack and lifts the vehicle about .5-1"(available at summit for something like $30-40 shipped
2.) replaces 2 springs in the pack makes a much stiffer ride and nets about 2" of lift (not sure where they are available from)

Warrior shackles will net about 1.5" and cost anywhere from $50-75. They are available at Desertrat.com and some other off road stores. Do a search for the specific model no. I think they are WAR153 or something like that.

Reading your signature, i see that you would probably want a cleaner look to the truck. I'd add the small add-a-leaf kit and lower the front of the truck to match the rear.

how do you like that pioneer avic system and how much did you spend on it>?

see my main problem is that my catback rattles against my shock absorber if i hang it on hanger in rear...4dr truck btw....and if i strap it up higher with a clamp or anything it rattles against my endlink. when i jacked my truck up to take my rims off last month for the winter, i realized that if my truck was a little higher in the rear...prob stock hieght then i probably wont rattle. I mean it just sits against it and at a red light it rattles like hell, kind of embarassing at a light to have a nice exhaust and be rattling all over. if i did not have this problem i would love to lower the front and have a nice lower look to it. so you think add a leafs still?

o and btw i love the avic system, bluetooth works great, sirius too, and the ipod, hopefully get a back up cam soon. the only con people say is the single disc slot, but i dont see the problem bc if you have you ipod connected you dont need to have a cd in, and if your watching a dvd then it goes in memory nav mode anyway. i love it, i got it for i think 750.

are you sure its your catback and not your timing chains?

I've had a few exhaust rattles. first was the timing chains, second was my catalytic converter fell apart from the inside and the platinum thing was rattling around inside.

If you know for sure its yours catback, can you pull it to the side. anyway you put it, you need to get it away from your shock absorber, especially before you put new shocks on. heat is murder to shocks. and if you have nice rims, keep the explo low. one of my pet peaves is nice rims on a stock height truck, especially when i know how easy it is to drop a truck a few inches.

mynameisaric,

My 2001 Explorer Sport is very squeeky/squaky when I drop over a speed bump (for instance). My local suspension shop offers to quiet the leaves by placing a "durable plastic" strip inbetween each leaf. I had this done before and it really works, but cost is $3 a foot for the plastic and $300 labor.

Have you heard of disassembly of the leaves, cleaning and lubing the contact surfaces and reassembly to effect the same result? Would it be unwise to lube them? Just curious.

mynameisaric,

My 2001 Explorer Sport is very squeeky/squaky when I drop over a speed bump (for instance). My local suspension shop offers to quiet the leaves by placing a "durable plastic" strip inbetween each leaf. I had this done before and it really works, but cost is $3 a foot for the plastic and $300 labor.

Have you heard of disassembly of the leaves, cleaning and lubing the contact surfaces and reassembly to effect the same result? Would it be unwise to lube them? Just curious.

Wow..talk about a rip off!!:rolleyes: The "durable plastic" strip is probably just Acetal (Delrin) and $300 labor? Dang!!

Lubrication won't hurt them a bit. I'd do that LOOONGG before I'd pay someone $300 to quiet 'em down. Heck, you can get new springs for cheaper than that!

For those thinking about an add-a-leaf. It will make the ride much more harsh than it currently is. Shackles don't change the ride stiffness like add-a-leaf's do, they just change the distance between the frame and the spring, which lifts the truck.

Wow..talk about a rip off!!:rolleyes: The "durable plastic" strip is probably just Acetal (Delrin) and $300 labor? Dang!!

Lubrication won't hurt them a bit. I'd do that LOOONGG before I'd pay someone $300 to quiet 'em down. Heck, you can get new springs for cheaper than that!

For those thinking about an add-a-leaf. It will make the ride much more harsh than it currently is. Shackles don't change the ride stiffness like add-a-leaf's do, they just change the distance between the frame and the spring, which lifts the truck.

Thanks JDraper! I did not require much persuasion! tom

If you would like cheaper shackles, auto zone sells the universal shackles. They are not a strong as the warrior ones(they don't have a center brace) but they are 13$. Many members here run them without problems.

It will make the ride much more harsh than it currently is. Shackles don't change the ride stiffness like add-a-leaf's do, they just change the distance between the frame and the spring, which lifts the truck.

while i agree about your shackle statement, i disagree with your add-a-leaf statement.

there are 2 kinds of add-a-leafs for our truck. one kind is a small spring added to the bottom of the pack and adds about 1/2" of lift, and you probably won't notice the difference in ride quality. the other kind i believe replaces 2 springs in the pack... and this is the setup Jdraper may be talking about. This setup is rumored to add about 2" of lift and i wouldnt doubt if it makes the ride quality alot more stiff

Back