• Register Today It's free!

Add a Leaf

WILL

Reaction score
City, State
Alsip, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT SOHC
I am looking to get the add a leaf system to my 97. I found the rancho system and it says that I can use it for the 91-93. Why the heck can't I use it for my 97. What was so different about 91-93 leaf's. I can't get an answer from rancho. Is there another manufacturer of this add a leaf system and how good is it? I regularly in the summer tow a 3500 lb boat trailer. I am getting the rancho rs 5000's this week and hope to get them this comming weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The add-a-leaf should work on your 97, I don't know why it wouldn't.

Well I thought so, I have the catalog next to me and it says that it "raises height and improves ride". "Installs between the stock helper spring and existing leaf spring". For ford trucks and 91-93 explorers? U got me

Explorer Pro Comp also makes an add-a-leaf for the newer Explorers. If the Rancho one doesn't work for some reason, then check out the Explorer Pro Comp one.

Hey Will.

Explorer Pro Comp actually makes a couple sets of add-a-leafs.

#13120 for the Pair of single add-a-leafs
#13135 for the Pair of two leafs

The 13120 cost around $27 and the 13135 cost around $100 from what I understand.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you end up doing.

The main difference being the ride quality/lift. I just checked the SPR code on my door. BF...F in the rear? and I thought I had the towing package...no wonder the ass is saggin on the truck. So your recommendation one or two

i have the BDS add-a-leaf ($25 at local 4x4 shop when i was VA bEach Va) and i got about 1.75" lift and definitely better towing capacity. the main thing is you have 3" leafs so your add-a-leafs should be 3". you dont want 2.25" for a jeep or whatever they are. as far the pro-Comp im no help.

BDS I have never heard of that...I didn't realize that there was a difference in width, guess I am gonna have to go out and measure the width now. I ordered my Rancho shocks today from desert rat, I spoke with them about add a leaf. They have a rancho short one for 55 dollars. I was told that the short ones are a rougher ride than the long add a leaf...is this true?

absolutely true about the length.
BDS is known for fullsize suspension lifts, mainly leafsprings. ive seen them advertised in off road or some other mag and then saw them at a shop and got them there. they have done their job wonderfully.

Thats great to know....I will have to look into all of my options. I have quite a few add a leaf places to go to. I was going to wait and do the mods all at once. I think I will do each to see how much of an effect each has. I am installing my rancho shocks this weekend. That will give me time to explore my options. I am thinking of keeping it all rancho...we'll see.

Back