Add-A-Leaf

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
I ordered an add-a-leaf(short) from Summit the other day. I crawled under my truck today to get an idea of what needed to be done and to look at my torsion tensioners. Seems to me no matter how a look at it, adding a leaf will lower my rear end. I have seen a lot of the guys here with this same kit from Summit(that's how I knew where to get them) and they said they work. Now, am I to assume that the bottom leaf is removed and then replace with the new spring with a smaller arc?

Just trying to get info before I get dirty. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't do an add a leaf. You have a monoleaf instead of a spring pack. Unless 2001 sports have spring packs...

I have a 93 XLT. Some people say it will raise and some say it will lower. I, personally am trying to correct a slight sag and give the truck a little better stance, rather than do a full lift.
thanks

Spring Mods

Did Summit actually look at the new application before selling you the product? 2001's have a multi-stage rear leaf spring system as opposed to the previous year that had a single stage. What are you trying to do, beef up the suspension? So far, I have been unable to find anything that fits my '01; Hellwig and Airlift have both gotten back to me and said check back later. The Ford dealer parts man showed me the exploded drawings of the Load Leveling system on their microfiche card reader. It says right on the diagram 95-00 Explorer, 2001 Ford Explorer and Sportrac, 97-98 Mountaineer, etc. But when I asked the Ford dealer, they said it was unavailable for the 2001 Sport! I've already written Owner Connection on this. The rear suspension was completely redone to cure the jitter and bounce on the highway. Now when I tow even a light load the rear sags.

I am trying to get a lift in the back. When I looked at the rear leaf, they looked as if they were all seperate. there are little rubber spacers at the ends of each leaf. Seems to me if you take off the load and remove the rear axle they will all come apart or explode on my face.

As for the sagging, mine already has a permenant sag from carrying tools all day. It's only about 1/2", but it's noticable. I would like to beef the suspesion, but I don't want to lose any hieght.

When I get my leafs, I will see whats up.

Do they have OME springs for the 2001 Sport yet?

Add a leafs

After reading all the hits I could about rear end sag, it sounds like the add a leaf is the way to go. I will be towing a trailer all around the west coast as well and want the added stiffness.
Can this be aquired around the Portland, OR area or are they only available through mail order?
I need to pull into Portland, get the wiring harness (7 pin)and hitch (and springs if I could), get the travel trailer and go in about 3 or 4 days onto Salt Lake.
The truck has the trailer harness wiring already as I pull a utility trailer here at home.(yes the rear end sags with it also)

XLT
4X4
D4 axel
4.0 OHC

I got the leafs in the mail yesterday and will be installing them tomorrow. The '01 has a spring pack and the add-a-leaf goes in the #4 position(the longest spring being position #1). The leaf is 3/8" thick and the kit says it will produce 2.5" of lift. So, when all is said and done I should get about 2" in the rear. I am still a bit skeptical because the leaf is fairly short. It is short enough, though, to fit in the pack without removing the factory installed keeper(towards the front of the vehicle).

I will let you all know how it goes.

2001ExpSport: I have a stock 93 EB and have been thinking of adding an additional leaf to correct a slight 3/4" sag on the left year. Where did you get your additional leafs and how is the ride quality? I have not be able to locate a manufacture/company which sells them. Thanks for the help! Mike

when i installed my add-a-leaf from BDS i got 1.75" of lift and now have better towing capacity. i really have to put a load on it to get the rear to squat. even though the spring looks small and short it will lift the rear because it is taking on the excess wieght of the vehicle and allowing the original springs to return to their natural arch. adding a leaf takes away your smoothy ride and helps you feel all of the bumps. dont get me wrong its not unbearable and it has super benfits offroad in my opinion. one thing that didnt come with the kit was the flat bushings that fits on the end of the spring between the springs. i made the pads myself out of old tires. i drilled a .187" hole in teh add a leaf and put the tread side to the top of the add a aleaf and then greased the top. those pads prevent squeaking. it took care of all of my rear squeaking. if yours has pads then dont fret i havent heard one yet that doesnt squeak after an add-a-leaf.

Hey Matt, what did you do take your shackles off of your truck, if i remember you had the warriors right?

Ya, I took them off for a little bit, but I liked it better with them on so they are back on now.

Originally posted by MikeTEC
2001ExpSport: I have a stock 93 EB and have been thinking of adding an additional leaf to correct a slight 3/4" sag on the left year. Where did you get your additional leafs and how is the ride quality? I have not be able to locate a manufacture/company which sells them. Thanks for the help! Mike

Summit racing sells them and Explorer Pro Comp sells them. I am not sure what the part number is. I used the short ones, but didn't like them at all. Gave them away about 3 months after I got em.

I now run the WP shackles.

Originally posted by Dannyboy
Matt,
Do you want me to swing on down to Illi and we will do a spring over conversion? That should take care of any rear end drop.

Danny, you are way late on that one bro. I posted that a year ago.

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport

Danny, you are way late on that one bro. I posted that a year ago.
OOPS I DID IT AGAIN

Oh well, the offer still stands!!!! I am amazed with the amout of work I am attempting on my truck ever since we basically had the whole thing ripped apart to nothing underneath...and got it back together

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport

Summit racing sells them and Explorer Pro Comp sells them. I am not sure what the part number is. I used the short ones, but didn't like them at all. Gave them away about 3 months after I got em.

I now run the WP shackles.

I think the partnumber on www.summitracing.com is exp-13120

The Part Number EXP-13120 is only listed for applications upto 97, so it may not works on later explorer unless the spring design is the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as long as you have leaf springs it should give you a lift.

Back