Adding a factory lock to your glove box | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a factory lock to your glove box

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
So one day I was at the junkyard looking at all the explorers like I always do and came across a 95'

95' Is the last year Ford gave the Explorer a locking glove box. Just so happened the junkyard explorer had a locking glove box. I picked it up for 10 bucks plus the key for it.

I know this glovebox lock is not built to withstand bullets or heavy bludgeoning, but it's nice to have some privacy and some reassurance that a valet person or friends snoop through your stuff. And hell it might deter someone from breaking your window, but no guarantees. Im happy with it.

The lock just blocks the a small tooth that keeps your glove box closed from fully opening. It is made out of plastic so it doesn't have any tumblers. But only one key works with it, I tried my factory 97' key and it won't work.

FYI: I was lucky and the key was wrapped around the steering wheel in the junkyard 95' It would of been a lot harder if I did not have the key.

Step 1: Drop your glove box by pulling the two sides together, the glove box will now fall.

01p1014620fg7.jpg

Step 2: You'll notice the big hump in the middle of your glovebox, there is a cover that hides actually handle mechanism. You just pull on the back of it and it will pop off revealing 3 screws.

IMG_4387.jpg

IMG_4388.jpg

Step 3: Remove all the screws and the handle will drop. (NOTE: I forgot to take a picture of my old unit, this is the new locking unit "unlocked" and you can see the tooth does not clear the cavity)

IMG_4390.jpg

Step 4: Replace the handle with your new locking handle, the position of the locking mechanism must be placed in "lock" not unlocked as the small rotating piece will not clear the cavity.

IMG_4393.jpg

Step 5: Screw the screws in and pop the black cover piece back in and your done!

IMG_4394.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice mod, excellent post!

That should be the same glove box door that's in the '01-'03 Sport and the '01-'05 Sport Trac. I'll be hunting a tan one for my '02 Trac now! Surely you can disassemble it far enough to work on the internals so it would work with your key, or even any key.

Thanks guys

This was installed on a 1997 Mountaineer btw

my 91 navajo Came with one stock

...Nice find and I never knew that...:biggthump

...Just a heads up, it appears my 95 Ranger also has the locking glove box mechanism and it appears to be the same for anyone looking in the jy's...;)

OH yeah thanks T-bars I forgot rangers had them too

and I think all 1990-1994 fords trucks had truck with locking glove boxes

Ok- I've never noticed that... Nice post!

Nice! Unfortunately I don't think they used dark grey in 95 so I'm SOL.

Great addition...

I always wondered why the 2nd Gen Explorer didn't have a lock on the glove box door...I like to keep stuff in there when I am not carrying them on me...

If I can't find a dark grey door I will probably use interior paint to make it match...

This is a great write up for our 2nd Gen trucks...

I've been kinda thinking about this- if you're going to need a second key to operate the lock, why not have a lock that actually offers a little more security? Like a metal lock that you can find at a hardware store. I haven't looked to see if it's feasible or not, but I will.

Just a thought.

I've been kinda thinking about this- if you're going to need a second key to operate the lock, why not have a lock that actually offers a little more security? Like a metal lock that you can find at a hardware store. I haven't looked to see if it's feasible or not, but I will.

Just a thought.

It does kind of look like you could use a tool box style lock if you drilled a hole in the same spot as the factory lock. Let us know what you find.

Just a thought.

It's a plastic glove box door. You're not going to get a LOT of security regardless of what lock you install.:rolleyes: A lock is just for honest folks anyway. It helps a bit with the nosy, young, friends/parents, etc. though.:)

I don't think you need a whole door, just the handle mechanism it self, I did not replace my door

It's a plastic glove box door. You're not going to get a LOT of security regardless of what lock you install. A lock is just for honest folks anyway. It helps a bit with the nosy, young, friends/parents, etc. though.

exactly it's just a deterrer, its not a tuffy box or 5 bolt safe, its nice to have but i wouldn't hide my lot of gold inside

Back