Locking Glove Box

JoshC

Only rolled it once honey
Reaction score
City, State
Culloden, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4d OHV
Hey fella, my 97 is just an XL and it doesn't have a locking glove box like most do. If i find one in a junk yard or something, what are the chances of my key working in it? I know that most of the keys just go about a quarter or half way in so i thought that maybe you could just use your originial key, let me know something, thanks alot.

Happy trailes!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that it wouldnt work with your key, but I would really get another opinion, this is just what I think, I'm not certain. If they use the same key that locks your doors, it wont work. Because think, if everyone had the same key to lock their glovebox and they were all identical, what would be the point of a lock then? But someone please correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I think.

BTW Jot, I got on here one day and looked at the screen and I was logged on as you! I went to see if all the settings were the same as mine and they were, the same messages and everything. It even said "Welcome back Jot017, you last visited...." Logged out and back in and it fixed it. Weird....

Originally posted by Jot017
Hey fella, my 97 is just an XL and it doesn't have a locking glove box like most do.

My 99 XLT doesn't have one.

That is pretty wierd that you were under my name! You didn't happen to come to my apartment and use my computer did you?!?! That's pretty funny thought, thanks for you help man!

Happy trailes!

I have a 97 XLT and it doesn't have a lock on the glovebox either. I know that my 95 XLT did have a lock.
As far as keys are concerned, there are only 30 sets of keys made, so you have a 1 in 30 chance that your key will fit. I wonder if the EB's or the Limited's have a locking glove box?

I haven't really found any on an explorer either. I had a 98 ranger with one, i'd say that that would fit. I'll check into that here in the next couple of days and let you all know what i find. Thanks!

Happy trailes!

Well thats odd, ours has a lock on it. Maybe a factory option?

My '96 Eddie Bauer doesn't have a locking glovebox. Hmmmmm....

I believe that 95 was the last year that Ford put locks on glove boxes. I seem to remember awhile back people were talking about the options that Ford decided to take off the Explorer in order to keep the price down, like no more skid plates standard on 99+ models.

Correct, probably a cost cutting measure. I don't remember my '94 Ranger having a locking glove box. I'm pretty sure that my '95 T-bird did, however my '97 Explorer doesn't. Similar thing happened in '98 when Ford dropped the standard skid plates, the door and glove box courtesy lights, and stopped making the cruise control standard.

Has anyone added a lock to a later model glovebox?

My 95 has a lock glove box:D

If you can put the locking glove box in the truck any self respecting locksmith can match it to your key.
Let me know if you are able to do the swap. I would love to put a locking glove box on my 2000.

I want to add a lock to my existing glove box ( in a 99 ).

You know, that's interesting because I've often wondered how a 99 X Limited with every friggin option you could put on a vehicle could NOT have a locking glove box. Makes NO sense whatsoever.

I guess Ford doesn't care if our gloves get stolen
:(

Sorry about the Eagles Hrbib21.

I wanted to see them win too.

locking glovebox

My '93 is an XL and I have the locking glove box. I don't have the key though..... would we get a replacement key at the Ford dealership or what?

Originally posted by MONMIX
If you can put the locking glove box in the truck any self respecting locksmith can match it to your key.
Let me know if you are able to do the swap. I would love to put a locking glove box on my 2000.

I don't know aboput later model locking glove boxes, but the earlier ones use a sperate"round-head" Ford key in them, so the key blank is the opposite of the door key.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a locking glove box and armrest but the armrest was done by the previous owner

Back