Adding auto-dimming rearview mirror (anyone done it?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding auto-dimming rearview mirror (anyone done it?)

nsindel

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 FPIU 3.7 NA
Greetings All:

I'm wanting to add an auto-dimming interior rear view mirror, and wondering if anyone has attempted this already. I've referenced the following threads, but these all deal with wiring and tapping into same:

Dashcam Tap to Wired Mirror - good picture of the plug on the mirror

F750 Dashcam Install

Rear View Mirror Wiring Harness

Another Wire Tap to Mirror

A couple of these also reference the pinout:

Auto Dimming Mirror Pinout 2101008.png

This references Harness Number 14334, does that translate into this harness, if so, this seems like a LOT of wiring if I just want the auto day/night. I also from reading understand that this is an older harness, but the pinout is the same...

So my question is as follows please - does anyone know the correct part number for the auto dimming mirror (without rain sensor, without lane keep, without screen, etc.); just looking for auto day/night function?

I keep running into part number BU5Z-17700-D, but Also BU5A-17E678-LA, and not sure which one is correct, or if neither one will work. It does look like the 2017 mount to the windshield is different from my 2016, so I think anything 2017+ is not going to work.

Finally, does anyone know the part number and/or a schematic for the wiring that this goes with? Does it plug into the overhead center console (hopefully yes), or does it thread down an A pillar (?)

Thank you all in advance. This forum has been a great resource and I'm just about ready to post up on my new PIU, and what I've done/am doing to it.

nathan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good afternoon Peter:

Thank you for the fact checking on the part. I tried to order the connector, and my local Ford dealer ordered Wire Assembly - Ford (CU2Z-14S411-AJA) , which is, on the face of the instructions a 'wiring repair kit', and not what I was looking for (found this out when I got home and looked up the part number).

I'm going to have to wait for the part to arrive before I get to argue with them. I may try to make this work by cutting into a switched 12v source, but I would much rather have the correct part(s)...

If anyone knows the correct part for the wiring, I'd be very appreciative!

nathan

Good afternoon Peter:

Thank you for the fact checking on the part. I tried to order the connector, and my local Ford dealer ordered Wire Assembly - Ford (CU2Z-14S411-AJA) , which is, on the face of the instructions a 'wiring repair kit', and not what I was looking for (found this out when I got home and looked up the part number).

I'm going to have to wait for the part to arrive before I get to argue with them. I may try to make this work by cutting into a switched 12v source, but I would much rather have the correct part(s)...

If anyone knows the correct part for the wiring, I'd be very appreciative!

nathan

Might be easier to just splice into the dome light (or task light) wire. It doesn't draw that much power, so even if it's not a switched connection it shouldn't cause you any battery drainage problems.

Greetings VCFP:

Thank you for the post and the idea, but I am/was concerned that its draw over several days being left alone might become an issue, particularly with a sunvisor.

That being said, I found a place, and sent a message yesterday... and Voila - Bob over at bobsmirrors.com is making me a pigtail with 9 foot leads for switched power, ground, and reverse (will work like factory, when in reverse it is disabled). I really wanted the factory wiring, however I have now found out that it is integrated into the entire front wiring harness... and that's a hard no as far as messing around with it.

Updates to follow, but pricing from Bobs was excellent (under $30.00 for the plug with correct pinout wiring), and response time was fantastic; so I'm looking forward to this project.

Thank you all again for the input -

nathan

Back