• Register Today It's free!

adjusting serpentine belt

danteatl2

Reaction score
City, State
milwaukie OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I just saw a write up on this well installing a new belt but it was closed so I couldn't comment on it. I changed my alternator and put the belt back on now its making a squeeking noise and when I turn the wheel it feells like I have no power steering. We used a broom stick to try to put some tension on I guess it wasn't enough. The squeeking is cause by a loose belt correct? And is the belt not being tight enough or too tight something that would make the steering hard. Any ideas of how to fix this and make sure I have the correct tension.

Tension is set automatically by the tensioner...as long as it's still good and the belt isn't stretched. So if it's too loose, that's the first place to look. Next, is the routing of the belt correct? Finally, is the pulley on your new alternator the same size as the old one?

Yes...to loose a belt can cause lack of power steering and squeal from the belt slipping.

I just saw a write up on this well installing a new belt but it was closed so I couldn't comment on it. I changed my alternator and put the belt back on now its making a squeeking noise and when I turn the wheel it feells like I have no power steering. We used a broom stick to try to put some tension on I guess it wasn't enough. The squeeking is cause by a loose belt correct? And is the belt not being tight enough or too tight something that would make the steering hard. Any ideas of how to fix this and make sure I have the correct tension.

make sure the correct side of the belt is facing the power steering pulley
if the power steering pulley has grooves in it, the grooved side of the belt needs to be touching the pulley

if the pulley is smooth (which i doubt) then the smooth side of the belt should be touching it

if you have the smooth side of the belt on the grooved pulley (or vice versa) the belt will slip and squeal, if it wasnt slipping it would be turning the powersteering pump backwards, and i'm sure that's not good for it either

Back