Can Replacing Serpentine Belt Start Squeak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can Replacing Serpentine Belt Start Squeak

clhoward

Reaction score
City, State
Irving, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport SOHC
Hello

1998 Explorer Sport SOHC 2WD

I just had my serpentine belt replaced at a repair shop based on their recommendation and milage (80K). Never heard a squeak before that. Since then, I have heard loud squeaks every morning when I start it cold. When I start it and the engine is warm, no sound or a slight squeak.

Took it back - they said the serpentine belt tensioner was bad and they need to replace that too for $130.

I've searched the messages on the board and noted that tensioners had to be replaced with squeaks, but never found one where it just started after a new belt was put on. I did however find one message that said if you put the wrong size belt on, it would squeak.

I guess my question is if the tensioner is really bad, wouldn't it have been squeaking before I took it in or is there a possibility they put the wrong size belt on?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The old belt was stretched over the years, so it puts less stress on the tensioner. If that is the original tensioner, you might as well replaced now before it would break in the middle of nowhere.

Do the tensioner yourself, should cost you no more than $50 and the install is eeeeeasy.

Mike

An already weak tensioner could have been further damaged as a result of cranking on it to put the new belt on.

I bet the problem is the new belt. What brand belt did you get? When I replaced the belt on my 98 SOHC I got a Dayco brand from the parts house which squeeked like crazy when cold. I also replaced my tensioner at the same time for 50 bucks - you should replace yours too with 80k miles it it probably nearly worn out if its original. Turns out the Dayco belt was too long- I replaced it with a Motorcraft belt which was about two inches shorter and haven't had any problems. I keep the old Dayco belt in the back as an emergency spare. Replacing the tensioner (and possibly idler pulley at the same time, only about $20 for one of these) is really easy and is sound preventative maintenance. Do a forum search for tensioner replacement if you need help, the only tools you need are a 3/8" ratchet and 7, 8, and I believe 13mm sockets to do it youself.

Tensioner Replacement

Here's the link to the tensioner replacement....
(dead links)

It's probably that belt tensioner; and I agree--no more than $50 and do it yourself.

If it's not the tensioner, it's time for it to be replaced anyway (I'm a prevention nut though)

Thanks so much for all your help - I will take a look at it this weekend.

Back