• Register Today It's free!

Advanced shift rail bore?

ponch68

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
Here's my origianl post where all the responses gave me confidence that it was a shift rail bore issue:

" '97 XLT, auto, 4x4 with the common whirring under no load and grinding in reverse. After reviewing this site, it sounds as if I have the common shift rail bore issue. I'm a fairly good garage mechanic, but have never dealt with a transfer case. This is my first 4x4".

Now, I had a situation where I needed to drive the car. It was fine as long as I kept the RPM above 1500. Then the explorer started bucking, I heard a loud noise and then no more drive or reverse. I still get the whirring noise intermixed with some grinding. My question now is; is this still just a transfer case problem or has my driving caused some transmission problems as well? I was plannning on pulling the transfer case and having it rebuilt. I appreciate your thoughts!

Its probably still just the transfer case. The shift collar is not making contact with anything now. Did you try low?

I didn't want to try anything else for fear of damaging or further damging the transmission. Thanks for the help.

Ditto... And to answer the next logical question, yours will only interchange directly with another one from a '97. The '97 was a transitional year. It has a speed sensor on the rear half of the case that's missing from the 98-01 t-cases, and a CV front output that is missing in the 95-96 cases. The only direct plug-n-play unit would be from another '97 4x4.

Good luck!

Back