• Register Today It's free!

Advice on dealing with a dealer?

JNorman

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
question for anyone that has tried to fight the dealer on the cost of a repair. Long story short I got an oil change and tire rotation today, they come out after the tire rotation to tell me I need a “broken” lug bolt replaced for $80. They didn’t end up having one in stock so I have to return tomorrow to get it fixed. I looked at the bolt when I got home, clearly not broken. It’s stripped. I would like to think they would own their mistake but they won’t. Do I have any sort of argument here? Or do I just eat the $80. It could be worse, but it’s more the principle of it. they can’t even put a lug back on it so I have 4 on that tire until tomorrow. It’s a 2016 explorer so their “age” excuse just doesn’t work for me.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in dealing with this. First issue I’ve had with a dealer, thankfully.

Attachments

• FCC2ED2E-2796-4349-A9F3-5AC15A05D836.jpeg
    FCC2ED2E-2796-4349-A9F3-5AC15A05D836.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 72

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the dealer has done all your work concerning your wheels, ask to speak with the service manager and explain that to him. A wheel lug doesn't strip itself. If that doesn't work, speak with the manager of the dealership. Like you say, it's more the principle of the issue.

Peter

so my guess is they used an air gun to put it on instead of putting it on my hand first and spinning it with their fingers, then using the air gun. This is 100% the mechanics fault.

Go to the service manage.. if you don't get resolution, go to the GM or to the owner.

Also, how is a wheel stud $80 when it's under $10 online retail.

Maybe it was already stripped before the rotation?
FYI, the OP was last seen here June 18, 2020 so he may no longer be following.

Peter

While it is very old indeed, a stripped lug is common (I used to own 12 tire stores). Hopefully someone in the
future will have the same problem, so here goes.

With all the salts used on the roads as all you Northerners know, everything is eaten alive.
Add electrolysis from the 2 different metals and well....

So, LUBE the lugs and nuts! If alloy wheels, I use anti-seize on the wheel where the shoulder
meets the lug nut and the inner bore hole...

Back