Advice on non working brake lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice on non working brake lights

XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Wausau, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport SOHC 4X4
My brake lights quit working and i traced the problem back to the brake light switch. When i hit the brake pedal nothing happens but if i move the switch up or down my brake lights will come on. I took the switch off and put it back on and must have found the sweet point because they worked for a couple of hours but now once again it won't work. So if i just replace the switch will it fix my problem or do i need to adjust my old one some how? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the switch is non adjustable as long as it is mounted properly
Also check the wiring pins and connector that lock onto the switch.
check the brake pedal and pivot itself just to make sure it is not out of whack.
I have never seen the need to replace one as you can clean them quite easily, but they are also not expensive.

I checked the connections and they are all good. My problem is the switch seems like it sits to far up i guess. If i push the switch down a little and hold it there then hit the brake my brake lights come on every time (as long as i hold the switch in position). I can also hold the brake pedal down and push the switch down (and let go of it) and the lights stay on but if i release the pedal and hit it again the switch moves up to high and once again my lights dont come on. Does that sound like my pedal is out of whack? Thanks

sounds like your switch is not mounted properly, remove it (pull the red pin) and take a look.

Thanks 410Fortune for your help. I checked the switch and how it was mounted on a couple times and it all looked right. I went out today and bought a new switch and threw it on and now i have brake lights again. So i guess my old one must have just worn out.

Had I read your post soon enough, I would have told you to just go out and replace the switch. It's a dealer part, costs about $20. I had the same problem about a year ago, replaced the switch, and it hasn't returned (thankfully!!).

Examination of the old switch showed that the switch mechanism itself had corroded or worn or something: the plunge action from off to on and back again wasn't smooth. This matters, somehow. Doesn't make any sense to me, but it matters.

Hi, I'm new here, and I think I may have the same problem on my 93 XLT. Does anyone have a pic of this switch mounted in its proper position? Thanks!

....bty, Great site!

I'm a explorerforum newbee as well with the same brake light prob on my sport trac. In an attempt to i.d. this prob and a fix via google I stumbled onto this site and all the helpful tips this forum has to offer. Thanks to those who participated in this thread.

Back