After changing spark plugs, truck runs rough | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

After changing spark plugs, truck runs rough

mmunsee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
I replaced all 6 spark plugs today to try and improve my engines performance, after installing all 6 new spark plugs the truck ran rough, when i push on the gas pedal it like sputters...

I also noticed that one of the spark plugs you could see the sparks, what would cause this? I replaced all the wires as well..

And how do i go about getting trouble codes myself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also noticed that one of the spark plugs you could see the sparks, what would cause this? I replaced all the wires as well..
one quick possiblity: while installing, you cracked the insulator on the plug, or the wire.

And how do i go about getting trouble codes myself?
Go to the EEC-IV sub forum in the Under the Hood forum and read the sticky threads.

one quick possiblity: while installing, you cracked the insulator on the plug, or the wire.

Could I have done that while tightening the plug? Cause now that I think about it i heard a pop noise when i tightened it, but would that cause my truck to run rough?

Yes, if you cracked the insulator, and are "leaking" spark, that will cause a misfire, which will cause the truck to run rough.

yes if the insulator is cracked it could be jumping to the block and not into the cylinder basically causing no fire on that cylinder and it wil run rough if it were me i would pull it and make sure also when you changed the plugs did you check the gap on all of the new plugs before you put them in?

yes if the insulator is cracked it could be jumping to the block and not into the cylinder basically causing no fire on that cylinder and it wil run rough if it were me i would pull it and make sure also when you changed the plugs did you check the gap on all of the new plugs before you put them in?

Yeah i checked all the gaps on all spark plugs, I will replace the plug that is showing spark with another new plug, and see if that helps the truck run smoother.

Yeah i pulled that spark plug and it was cracked, replaced with new one, runs smooth now, thanks everybody!

I also change the spark plugs in mine. I know there is no miss firing. But the problem is after you drive for a while than stop at a store for a while, than start-up at drive off. When I do start it up after visiting a store the engine run very rough like a miss, but if you rev it up than the problem goes away. When the engine is running rough it does make it hard to back up. Only happens when you cut the engine off when it is hot than restart hot. Why?

I also change the spark plugs in mine. I know there is no miss firing. But the problem is after you drive for a while than stop at a store for a while, than start-up at drive off. When I do start it up after visiting a store the engine run very rough like a miss, but if you rev it up than the problem goes away. When the engine is running rough it does make it hard to back up. Only happens when you cut the engine off when it is hot than restart hot. Why?
My first thought with a rough warm start is the fuel pressure regulator. Sometimes the diaphragm ruptures and you get unmetered fuel into the intake, effectively flooding the engine on warm starts. Next time you've run the engine, pull the vacuum line to the FPR and see if there's gas in it (gas=bad FPR).

I replaced the about a year a go. But as long as its running everything is good. This only happens if it is restarted when its warm. The exhaust does smell at times, but I also think that the engine burns oil. The CAT did stop up and I was told that the engine has too much gas or burning oil.

Back