• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Cat Converters

JC3006

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Does anyone have any experience with either Flowmaster or Magnaflow catalytic converters?

My X has been cat-less for years (not my doing), and I’ve decided to add one back. Would a single aftermarket be as efficient as the factory piggy back dual cats?

It will be ran to a Flowmaster 40 or 44 (haven’t decided yet) and out the factory style resonator and tail pipe.

Unless anyone has other recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One good high flow cat of your choice will be fine, im pretty sure i used just a jegs or summit brand one on my 5.0 ranger and its still on there years later. Just put it in front of your last o2 sensor so it reads right then to your muffler, i prefer the magnaflow mufflers or if you can Borla all the way.

One good high flow cat of your choice will be fine, im pretty sure i used just a jegs or summit brand one on my 5.0 ranger and its still on there years later. Just put it in front of your last o2 sensor so it reads right then to your muffler, i prefer the magnaflow mufflers or if you can Borla all the way.
I'm confused about this. As far as I was aware, 1st gen explorers only have upstream o2 sensors, which is why when I busted out my clogged catalytic converters, and essentially straight piped it, it didn't throw a code or anything.

I had pacesetters on my escape and they were great as far as build quality and fit.

I'm confused about this. As far as I was aware, 1st gen explorers only have upstream o2 sensors, which is why when I busted out my clogged catalytic converters, and essentially straight piped it, it didn't throw a code or anything.
Then that's my bad on misunderstanding the post, yea if it does not have the down streams it won't matter but if it does and you don't do it that way it can throw a code it won't always throw one. Mine are gutted I just have the 2 resonators or baby cats whatever you want to call them and it's fine. But I have other things done as well so idk if that is having a effect as well.

Guys, just to check back in…

I went with a single Flowmaster (they offered 2 versions, I chose the longer one) 2.25” high flow cat.

I’ve only had it on for a few dozen miles but so far so good. Didn’t affect throttle response or acceleration at all. Does the trick, really cleaned up the exhaust smell. Very happy so far.

Just following up again.

For anyone who is in need of an aftermarket cat, I can vouch for the Flowmaster. It's clocked about 10K miles since my last post, and has been absolutely perfect.

Back