P0141 code = 2 bad cat converters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

P0141 code = 2 bad cat converters?

Przybysz

Reaction score
City, State
Its pronounced (Priz-biz)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hey guys, I just took my 1996 xlt ex into the shop today to get a code checked out. The mechanic said it was a p0141 error code. From the research that I have done indicates a bad o2 sensor, but the mechanics said the sensors indicated that it was actually 2 bad cat converters. To me that sounds like BS to have 2 cat converters go bad. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!
Jake

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replace the 02 sensors to start. This will be cheaper to do.

I was quoted $230 to do 2 new cats. But you think I should buy all 4 sensors first?

a wise old mechanic once told me that "catalytic converters don't just die, they're murdered". if you're dumping too much unburned fuel into your exhaust or if you're burning oil it will eventually ruin the cats. O2 sesors (the unheated early ones) are good for about 50-60K, the newer style heated ones are good for around 100-120K.

check wiring

P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I suggest that before you replace anything you check the wiring to the post catalytic O2 sensor on the passenger side. The connector could be loose but more likely there is a short or break in the wiring.

I had this exact same code, and then replaced the o2 sensor, and it was fine, I think your mechanic is just trying to make money on you with cheap aftermarket cat replacements. Just letting you know, you will most likely need a torch to get it out, that is what it took to get mine out. I also had to go through the access hatch on the trans tunnel to get to the sensor. Good luck, mine took 4 hours to change. it was a huge PITA!

Back