Aftermarket Intake Manifold?

Greg_DonWindsor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Limited V8 4x4
I've been researching building a new engine for my truck some time down the road, and noticed it seems almost impossible to find an aftermarket intake manifold. Yes, I've also tried the search function, and stumbled across the supercharger adapter kit as well. This leaves me somewhat indecisive as to whether or not I should just supercharge right away once I build the new motor. As a side note, what kind of horsepower has the stock 5R55E transmission been subjected to? Just curious as to what I'm going to have to budget for when I finally spring for this. For the sake of reference, I'm looking at a short block from SuperSix motorsports:

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/_pdf/3.8_4.2/SSM201340SOHCCatRev1ShortblockForgedInternals.pdf

Any advice from all of you who have already dropped in new motors or bolted on S/C's is greatly appreciated!

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians on the board!

-Greg

Greg, the 5R55e is temperamental.
As near as we can tell tuning it with an aftermarket tuner and regular maintenance is key. Lots of guys have punished this trans with gobs of power (Both Superchargers, and turbochargers).

I myself have had my 5r55e rebuilt 3 times. I must say its holding up really well now. Maybe 3rd time lucky? Or maybe the tuning.....Tough to know.

If your supercharging, look at StreetRod2000 and his build. He's currently installing a supercharger on his sohc motor in his explorer. Its turning out to be lots of work. Some it goes smoothly, others not so much.

If you go supercharged, make sure you go with an intercooler. Unfortunately, the intercooler creates a world of issues installing it.

As for the intake, I've never heard of anyone wanting to upgrade the sohc lower intake to anything. The upper intake would be replaced with a supercharger, of course.

Back